Old 23-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Travis

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article DGxOe.10628$g47.7290@trnddc07,
Travis wrote:

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get
it.

Not at any civilised temperature, it isn't. It is a liquid. You
are thinking of paraffin wax. Also don't confuse (liquid) paraffin
with liquid paraffin :-)

So you mean what we call kerosene?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 23-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Travis

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message DGxOe.10628$g47.7290@trnddc07
from "Travis" contains
these words:

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin
refrigerator works. Anyone?

Same as a gas one.

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get
it.

'Paraffin' is a group of hydrocabons which includes solids through
to gases. The paraffin referred to is somewhere in the middle of
the group and is called kerosene in Transpondia.

Transpondia? When I Google that word I find something about bringing a
visitor or fiance to the UK.

This is getting really weird.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 23-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article %VAOe.12345$g47.9087@trnddc07,
"Travis" writes:
| Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
|
| 'Paraffin' is a group of hydrocabons which includes solids through
| to gases. The paraffin referred to is somewhere in the middle of
| the group and is called kerosene in Transpondia.

Yup.

| Transpondia? When I Google that word I find something about bringing a
| visitor or fiance to the UK.

It has been used to refer to our ex-colonies (especially the
rebellious ones) in north America for some time - on UK newsgroups.

| This is getting really weird.

Nah. Try uk.rec.sheds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Mike Lyle

Travis wrote:

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get

it.

Not at any civilised temperature, it isn't. It is a liquid. You
are thinking of paraffin wax. Also don't confuse (liquid) paraffin
with liquid paraffin :-)

No, it's a divided-by-a-common-language thing. Brit laymen use the
word "paraffin" for _kerosene_. Not as bad (from our pov) as the
French, who call it "pétrole"!

--
Mike.

Old 23-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get
| it.
|
| Not at any civilised temperature, it isn't. It is a liquid. You
| are thinking of paraffin wax. Also don't confuse (liquid) paraffin
| with liquid paraffin :-)
|
| No, it's a divided-by-a-common-language thing. Brit laymen use the
| word "paraffin" for _kerosene_. Not as bad (from our pov) as the
| French, who call it "pétrole"!

Actually, I use the terms 'paraffin' and 'kerosene' as synonyms.
Both are abbreviations (for p. oil and k. oil) and the use of
paraffin in that sense predates the use of kerosene (by only a
few years, true).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 23-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article %VAOe.12345$g47.9087@trnddc07,
"Travis" writes:

[...]
Transpondia? When I Google that word I find something about
bringing a visitor or fiance to the UK.

It has been used to refer to our ex-colonies (especially the
rebellious ones) in north America for some time - on UK newsgroups.

Over on alt.usage.english, it's spawned a whole range of derivatives,
including (hyphens are included or not according to house style):
Right-pond
Left-pond
Else-pond
Other-pond
Trans-pond
all of which lead to the expected forms with -ial, -ian, and -iality.
There are also _pondial_ and _pondiality_. I believe I was myself
responsible for the divergent adjectival form referring to Oceania,
_Antipondean_.

Since we often refer to South Africa, I am about to introduce _up-_
and _down-pond_ -- also, perhaps, confections of my own.

--
Mike.

Old 23-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message %VAOe.12345$g47.9087@trnddc07, Travis
writes
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message DGxOe.10628$g47.7290@trnddc07
from "Travis" contains
these words:

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin
refrigerator works. Anyone?

Same as a gas one.

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get
it.

'Paraffin' is a group of hydrocabons which includes solids through
to gases. The paraffin referred to is somewhere in the middle of
the group and is called kerosene in Transpondia.

Transpondia? When I Google that word I find something about bringing a
visitor or fiance to the UK.

This is getting really weird.

British understatement refers to the Atlantic Ocean (occasionally) as
The Pond, and hence to North America (more often) as Transpondia or
Leftpondia.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

No, it's a divided-by-a-common-language thing. Brit laymen use the
word "paraffin" for _kerosene_. Not as bad (from our pov) as the
French, who call it "pétrole"!

Ah, but they call petrol 'essence', which might be disastrous in a big
cake in a hot oven innit.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 23-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Over on alt.usage.english, it's spawned a whole range of derivatives,
including (hyphens are included or not according to house style):
Right-pond
Left-pond
Else-pond
Other-pond
Trans-pond
all of which lead to the expected forms with -ial, -ian, and -iality.
There are also _pondial_ and _pondiality_. I believe I was myself
responsible for the divergent adjectival form referring to Oceania,
_Antipondean_.

Since we often refer to South Africa, I am about to introduce _up-_
and _down-pond_ -- also, perhaps, confections of my own.

Something to ponder upon, I suppose, and for you to respond?.