Old 22-08-2005, 06:32 PM
tomkanpa

Default Looking for LONG reach tree pruner

The longest reach tree pruner I've been able to find is a Fiskar that
extends to about 13'.
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a longer one??

Old 22-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Gideon

I don't know where to locate one, but I know that what you are
seeking is available somewhere. A former neighbor had a pruner
with a pole that came in three wooden sections. When all three
sections were used, the reach was pretty amazing. Obviously,
the pruner was heavy and difficult to use unless it was held relatively
vertical.

The neighbor was Japanese and he may have brought the pruner
with him when he moved to the U.S.

If you can't locate one with the reach that you want, then you certainly
could build your own pole pruner.

Good luck,
Gideon

==================

Old 23-08-2005, 01:28 AM
Treedweller

On 22 Aug 2005 10:32:02 -0700, "tomkanpa" wrote:

The longest reach tree pruner I've been able to find is a Fiskar that
extends to about 13'.
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a longer one??

Several brands of poles are available from arborist supply houses.
You might find a telescoping pole like the ones you see at the home
despot, but your best bet is interlocking poles of wood or fiberglass.
You can keep adding more till you get it as long as you want. Then
you buy a separate saw head or pruner (or both) that lock into the
top. Make sure you have a male ferrule on one end and a female on the
other--sometimes you get a crutch tip on the bottom and you can't
connect another pole below it. As was mentioned, they get pretty
unwieldy beyond about 15-20 feet. If you are getting the pull-cord
type pruner, spiral the cord around the pole a couple of times before
pulling to avoid bowing/breakage.

www.wtsherrill.com is a good supplier. You can get a whole lot of
other options by googling arborist supply. Unfortunately, you will
pay a UPS surcharge because they are so long (well, you can buy them
in 4-ft lengths, but that adds up fast). You might call around to
chainsaw shops in your area--they often have a handful of items for
the arborist trade. In that case, you'd probably have to buy the
poles locally and the pruner head by mail, unless you have a really
good chainsaw shop.

Old 23-08-2005, 05:48 PM
chaz

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
The longest reach tree pruner I've been able to find is a Fiskar that
extends to about 13'.
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a longer one??

I have a saw that is like a chain saw chain (blade) with a rope on each end.
You toss it over the limb and saw it off using a back and forth motion. Of
course, I get my head dropped on every now and then.

chaz