Old 23-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Ben

Default Count them Six Datura Blooms

I grew this from a cutting last fall and left it in a basement window
over the winter in a 6" Pot. It has only been fertilized twice.
The mother plant, also in the basement but planted in the ground has
only had one bloom all summer.

I wonder if it's the 12" pot? I read once that Oak trees in years of
drought will produce more acorn than normal. Something about being
programmed to reproduce themselves when under stress.
(Eastern Ontario)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../Datura002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../Datura001.jpg

Old 24-08-2005, 03:35 AM

Well it's a nice plant but it's not a Datura it's a Brugmansia which is
a close relative.
As soon as you said cutting you pretty much eliminated Datura even
before the photo had a chance to load. I don't recall is day length is
a factor in blooming on this plant but I wouldn't bet against it.

Old 24-08-2005, 03:38 AM
Ben

I thougt that Brugmansia and Datura was the same. The plant gets sun
from 10 to about 4.

Old 24-08-2005, 04:06 AM
B & J

"Ben" wrote in message
ups.com...

I grew this from a cutting last fall and left it in a basement window
over the winter in a 6" Pot. It has only been fertilized twice.
The mother plant, also in the basement but planted in the ground has
only had one bloom all summer.

I wonder if it's the 12" pot? I read once that Oak trees in years of
drought will produce more acorn than normal. Something about being
programmed to reproduce themselves when under stress.
(Eastern Ontario)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../Datura002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../Datura001.jpg

I think what you have is a brugmansia although they were once classified as
a datura. I have both and there is a difference. The blossoms on your plant
are beautiful. My biggest complaint about the brug in our area is that it is
pest magnet, which means everything from spider mites to caterpillars.

Check out this site, which explains the difference:

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/b...154005861.html

John

Old 25-08-2005, 02:08 AM
Vox Humana

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
On 23 Aug 2005 19:35:16 -0700, wrote:

Well it's a nice plant but it's not a Datura it's a Brugmansia which is
a close relative.
As soon as you said cutting you pretty much eliminated Datura even
before the photo had a chance to load. I don't recall is day length is
a factor in blooming on this plant but I wouldn't bet against it.

Night temperatures are what determine the flowering of all nightshades
and this is a nightshade or solanacea family.

I have two. One looks exactly like the one in the picture but is now about
7 feet high and wide. It started out about haft that size of the one in the
picture and only got a few blooms late in the first season - after I brought
it inside for the winter. The next year it got much bigger and started to
bloom earlier. This year the thing is absolutely HUGE and has been blooming
in cycles most of the summer. It seems to do better with cooler nights, but
has been blooming even when night temperature were in the high 70s. One
thing for sure is that they demand lots of fertilizer and lots of water. I
can hardly keep up with both. When they bloom I can smell them all over the
yard.

I had some breakage due to high winds and then I had to prune one of them
because it was too big for my deck. I cut the branches into pieces and put
them in a bucket of water. One rooted and then I planted it in soil. It
lost all of its leaves, but is now putting out new leaves. I have one more
the put out a large number of roots at a node near the surface of the water.
About 18 inches of bare stem is below the water. Should I cut the stem off
just below the roots and pot it or should I include part of the bare stem
that is below the roots?

[IMG] code is On

Datura - datura.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 09-08-2007 11:36 PM
Whats the weather been like for the last six months? Skydragon Australia 0 02-12-2004 07:00 AM
Six-Pack's Tag said Early Girl, Fruit is Cherry Tomatoes........ Richard Shelter Edible Gardening 17 16-07-2003 02:22 PM
Six-foot tall tomato plant ... Bert Hyman Gardening 3 14-07-2003 01:42 AM
A new garden in six weeks - HELP! William Tasso United Kingdom 6 04-05-2003 11:08 AM