Old 28-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Jenny

Default Amazing Ice Pansies

I bought a couple flats of these patented pansies last fall and put them
into some very poor soil in semi-sun (4 hours a day) not expecting much.

Well, they bloomed and bloomed all fall into December until they were
completely covered with snow. As soon as the snow melted in March, they
started blooming again. And blooming, and blooming.

I planted my summer annuals around them and kept waiting for the ice
pansies to quit so that I could pull them out and make room for the new
stuff. It didn't happen. They kept growing and blooming the whole way
through the first week of August.

We had a hot spell after that and they got a bit bedraggled looking, so
I pulled them, but one plant which I threw on the compost heap rerooted
itself and it is STILL blooming away, merrily, in the shade.

Oh, and did I mention that the blooms were very pretty (I planted,
orange, white, and blue).

I am going to be haunting the garden center so I can snap up more of
these as soon as they come in. Last year the pretty ones were gone
within days--obviously to people who had planted them the previous year
and knew what they were looking at.

BTW I'm in W Mass on a hillside that is in the colder part of Zone 5.
--Jenny

[IMG] code is On

Snapdragons, Pansies Darby Wiggins Gardening 5 13-05-2012 08:45 PM
Sea Shepherd Announces: Seal Defense Campaign 2008! Sea ShepherdCrew to Shift from the Southern Ice to the Northern Ice [email protected] United Kingdom 1 06-04-2008 08:41 AM
Winter flowering pansies. Ron United Kingdom 0 01-06-2003 10:08 AM
Pansies In Distress Fleemo Gardening 7 01-02-2003 02:19 AM
Are my pansies diseased? Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 0 17-12-2002 03:02 PM