Old 29-08-2005, 12:30 AM
djay

Default Ficus tree potting

I was looking at ficus trees today. At a local nursery they have 4ft trees
in 3 gal planters. I plan on having the tree indoors and obviously need to
repot it. Should I pot to the same size or larger? If larger, how much
larger?

BTW the nursery wants $21.99 for the trees. I've seen them at a big box
store for nearly double that price. Do you think that $21.99 is reasonable?
I guess that is kind of a relative question. I live on the central coast of
California.

Thanks,

Djay

Old 29-08-2005, 10:17 PM
David Ross

djay wrote:

I was looking at ficus trees today. At a local nursery they have 4ft trees
in 3 gal planters. I plan on having the tree indoors and obviously need to
repot it. Should I pot to the same size or larger? If larger, how much
larger?

BTW the nursery wants $21.99 for the trees. I've seen them at a big box
store for nearly double that price. Do you think that $21.99 is reasonable?
I guess that is kind of a relative question. I live on the central coast of
California.

I suggest you start small and let the tree grow into the container
and its location. Ficus can be very fussy, both indoors and
outdoors. They will even drop their leaves and start to "play
dead" if you move them into a better location. Rather than spend a
lot of money on a plant that won't survive, start small and cheap.

I have four weeping Chinese banyans (Ficus benjamina) together in a
14-inch pot on my front porch. I bought them growing together in a
1-gallon can. While I don't like the way it looks when these are
braided together -- it looks freaky -- I did braid the lower
portions of the trunks to keep them upright. I then hid the braid
by allowing foliage to grow almost to the soil surface.

After 10 years, my trees are now about 8 feet tall. The effect is
as if I had one very bushy tree rather than four.

This spring, a hummingbird built a nest where a leaf was attached
to a branch. I could look down into the nest from a second-floor
window. By the time the eggs hatched and the young grew enough to
leave the nest, there was a real mess on the ficus and the porch.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 29-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Frank Logullo

"djay" wrote in message
I was looking at ficus trees today. At a local nursery they have 4ft

trees
in 3 gal planters. I plan on having the tree indoors and obviously need

repot it. Should I pot to the same size or larger? If larger, how much
larger?

BTW the nursery wants $21.99 for the trees. I've seen them at a big box
store for nearly double that price. Do you think that $21.99 is

reasonable?
I guess that is kind of a relative question. I live on the central coast

of
California.

My 15 year old indoor ficus is about 6 foot tall from floor and is in a pot
that size. I grew it from a cutting from a coworkers plant. They are easy
to propagate from cuttings and I've grown some for my kids. I don't give a
lot of water, add some lawn fertilizer occasionally and take outside for a
month or 2 in the summer to let the rain flush out the soil. I keep indoors
in moderate light and it looks good.
Frank