Old 01-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Registered User

Question Please help Identify Flower!

Hi, we moved in to an older home built in 1950, for the last 3 years this flower comes up and I would like to know what it is, it looks like some kind of lily but I'm not sure. Every year it starts out looking like a large clump of thick bladed grass, then that all dies back to the ground in late July, early August. The plant looks like it died, then about a week later it shoots up four to five strong spikes with clusters of buds just at the top. It is pink with some blue tones to it and smells like Lilacs. Any Ideas as to what it is? Michele
Attached Thumbnails
Please help Identify Flower!-flower1.jpg   Please help Identify Flower!-flower2.jpg   Please help Identify Flower!-flower3.jpg
Old 01-09-2005, 03:48 AM
DrLith

Jemsye wrote:
Hi, we moved in to an older home built in 1950, for the last 3 years
this flower comes up and I would like to know what it is, it looks like
some kind of lily but I'm not sure. Every year it starts out looking
like a large clump of thick bladed grass, then that all dies back to
the ground in late July, early August. The plant looks like it died,
then about a week later it shoots up four to five strong spikes with
clusters of buds just at the top. It is pink with some blue tones to it
and smells like Lilacs. Any Ideas as to what it is? Michele

|Filename: Flower3.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2839|

Variously named surprise lily, resurrection lily, naked lady, or magic
lily: Lycoris squamigera

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/517/
Old 01-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLith
Jemsye wrote:
Hi, we moved in to an older home built in 1950, for the last 3 years
this flower comes up and I would like to know what it is, it looks like
some kind of lily but I'm not sure. Every year it starts out looking
like a large clump of thick bladed grass, then that all dies back to
the ground in late July, early August. The plant looks like it died,
then about a week later it shoots up four to five strong spikes with
clusters of buds just at the top. It is pink with some blue tones to it
and smells like Lilacs. Any Ideas as to what it is? Michele

|Filename: Flower3.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2839|

Variously named surprise lily, resurrection lily, naked lady, or magic
lily: Lycoris squamigera

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/517/
Thankyou Very Much!
I was going to attempt to harvest seeds from this plant, but now I've read it might not be true to the parent. Once again, Thanx for your help and quick response. Michele