Old 11-10-2005, 12:16 AM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Default forestry in US

While storms, tornado's, floods, volcanic eruptions and fires constantly
remind us we are not the BOSS, the placement of people in positions of
authority with no credentials, such as was the case with FEMA, is no new
problem for the USA. For many years, while I have been researching, people
with no formal background with tree biology (trees and their associates) are
placed in a position responsible for decisions on forest (trees and their
associates) health. Would you go to a doctor that flunked anatomy? Anatomy
must precede physiology.

See we are responsible, as humans, for the well being of creatures
with which we have dominion over. Creation Care as some may call it. I
hope the day will come when decisions on Federal Public Land will be made by
groups of people who have a thorough understanding of tree biology. In
fact - The Mississippi Valley Laboratory in St. Louis was established in
1899. Dr. Herman von Schrenk was the director. Studies on wood decay and
discoloration were done mostly. In time, the studies drifted toward wood
products. In 1907 the lab was discontinued and the Forest Products
Laboratory at Madison, Wisconsin took over. The major focus of the lab was
on wood products decay. Tree biology never had a chance.

The US FOREST SERVICE (practicing foresters) claim that the Senate
mandates the cutting out of wood from the once fertile National Forest. The
Senate claims they have expert in the USFS that inform them as of what
treatments are best.

The problem, which has been document in a logging journal, is a
communication problem between practicing foresters and the scientist or
researchers. One example is Rick Santorum who is on a decision making
committee and will not even give a definition as to what a forest is too
him. Simply unacceptable in this modern age. Lack of understanding of tree
biology has been and still is the major cause of problems for trees and
their associates worldwide! I rest my case.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

The article mentioned can be found here.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...102/index.html

[IMG] code is On

Help forestry student! Larry Caldwell alt.forestry 6 10-02-2003 04:43 PM
New Age Forestry? Larry Harrell alt.forestry 5 27-12-2002 03:46 PM
remote sensing and GIS in forestry anurag alt.forestry 0 21-11-2002 04:58 AM
forestry web site ? rgs50 alt.forestry 0 20-11-2002 02:26 AM
Field Forester Needed - Bevan Forestry Larry Harrell alt.forestry 3 31-10-2002 08:32 PM