Old 01-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Registered User

Default Selling mature plants

Hi all,

I have a garden full of mature plants, shrubs and tree's.

The previous owner was a landscape gardner and spent a fortune on beautiful growing things.

I am expecting my first child and want to make the garden kid friendly, you know grass, somewhere to play that sort of thing.

Now I know that some of the Bamboo's and chinese maples I have are worth money, I was hoping to sell them to finance the project.

My problem is, I have no idea where to sell them or who to contact.

Help.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Becky A

--
NICOLLI

*shrug* I'd have killed to have grown up with a 'lush' yard...as
opposed to the generic grass and dogshit that most kids get.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Travis

NICOLLI wrote:
Hi all,

I have a garden full of mature plants, shrubs and tree's.

The previous owner was a landscape gardner and spent a fortune
on
beautiful growing things.

I am expecting my first child and want to make the garden kid
friendly, you know grass, somewhere to play that sort of thing.

Now I know that some of the Bamboo's and chinese maples I have
are
worth money, I was hoping to sell them to finance the project.

My problem is, I have no idea where to sell them or who to
contact.

Help.

Thanks

Where are you? Have you tried Craigs List?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 01-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Vox Humana

"NICOLLI" wrote in message

Hi all,

I have a garden full of mature plants, shrubs and tree's.

The previous owner was a landscape gardner and spent a fortune on
beautiful growing things.

I am expecting my first child and want to make the garden kid friendly,
you know grass, somewhere to play that sort of thing.

Now I know that some of the Bamboo's and chinese maples I have are
worth money, I was hoping to sell them to finance the project.

My problem is, I have no idea where to sell them or who to contact.

You have to be kidding (or trolling).

Old 02-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Humana
You have to be kidding (or trolling).
Why do you say that ?

all i want is a little advice from people who are in the know.

Sorry, I obviously shouldn't have bothered.

Thanks for help, NOT

Old 02-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Vox Humana

"NICOLLI" wrote in message

Vox Humana Wrote:

You have to be kidding (or trolling).

Why do you say that ?

all i want is a little advice from people who are in the know.

Sorry, I obviously shouldn't have bothered.

Thanks for help, NOT

I think "bother" is the operative word here. Putting aside the fact that
there is nothing anti-child about mature trees or bamboo or that your child
won't be running around the garden for a few years, there isn't much of a
market for used plants. Sure, if you have some extraordinarily rare
specimen, you might find a buyer. The simple fact is that people are taking
a big chance on buying mature plants that are being removed by an armature.
Furthermore, you would have to spend some time and money advertising your
plants. You would also have to identify them. Bamboo isn't an adequate
description. The plants would have to be removed and transported by
someone. If you expect the buyer to do this, you are really limiting your
market and you would have to endure strangers coming to your home and
removing the plants. There is liability there. Plants generally come with
some sort of guarantee. Local nurseries discount their plants by 30% if you
buy them without a guarantee. Even then, the plants are ready to take home,
or for an additional fee, you can arange for delivery. Many people pay for
professionals to plant large, expensive specimens for them. I assume you
don't plan to offer the plants already in containers, nor will you offer a
guarentee, delivery, or planting. That means that your plants will be worth
very little even if you find someone who is willing to come over, dig,
transport, and plant them without a guarantee. A five gallon container of
bamboo might sell for $75 from a specialty nursery. Yours might be worth
$25 at best. That won't buy much garden renovation. Frankly, I would get
some professional advice before doing anything. You could end up removing a
specimen and then spending a lot of money replacing it with something
inferior. If the garden designer recommends removing the plants, perhaps
he/she could find someone to buy them. Most likely the best you will do is
to find someone to remove the plants at no charge, thus saving you the
expense of removal and disposal.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Vox Humana

"NICOLLI" wrote in message

My plan was to sell the plants, shrubs and trees to a landscape gardener
or local nursery.

Then you have your answer. Call them and see what they say. My guess is
that unless you have something rare or a vast quantity of something they
won't be interested, but it never hurts to ask. What happens when they sell
the plants to someone with a 1 year guarentee and they come back dead next
spring? The nursery will expect you to take the dead plants back and return
the money. They also won't want to come over and dig and containerize the
plants. By the time you buy pots and potting soil, dig the plants, and
transport them to the nursery, the lower-than-wholesale price they offer
won't look so good. I think you would do better to contact a gardening club
and see if they have some ideas. Some local clubs have plant exchanges and
sales. As I said before, the best you might get is someone who agrees to
come over and remove the plants for free, reducing your renovation expenses.