Old 01-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Gravelle

Default Over Wintering New Rosebushes

I have several rose bushes that were just planted this spring. They a
Chicago Peace (Hybrid Tea Rose), Miss All American Beauty (Hybrid Tea Rose),
Sunsprite (Floribunda Rose), and Gingersnap (Floribunda Rose).

What do I need to do with them now? In the spring? I live in Zone 5.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Doug Kanter

"Gravelle" wrote in message
m...
I have several rose bushes that were just planted this spring. They a
Chicago Peace (Hybrid Tea Rose), Miss All American Beauty (Hybrid Tea
Rose), Sunsprite (Floribunda Rose), and Gingersnap (Floribunda Rose).

What do I need to do with them now? In the spring? I live in Zone 5.

Thanks

One of my neighbors (zone 5, Rochester NY) builds cylindrical chicken wire
cages around his, about 8-12" larger than the diameter of the widest
branches, and fills the cages with dead leaves about halfway up the height
of the plant. He says this protects tender new growth from wind damage. He's
correct, but on the other hand, you should do NOTHING (pruning, feeding)
that promotes new growth of roses after early September, because it's a
given that it *will* be damaged and you'll just need to cut it back in the
spring anyway.

So....cage them, if you like. I've also seen suggestions that if they're all
in the same garden bed, block the prevailing wind with snow fence, which is
reusable from year to year if it doesn't get damaged.

At the very least, make sure you mulch around them so once the ground's
frozen, it STAYS frozen and doesn't heave, which can damage roots.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Vox Humana

"Gravelle" wrote in message
m...
I have several rose bushes that were just planted this spring. They a
Chicago Peace (Hybrid Tea Rose), Miss All American Beauty (Hybrid Tea

Rose),
Sunsprite (Floribunda Rose), and Gingersnap (Floribunda Rose).

What do I need to do with them now? In the spring? I live in Zone 5.

I would prune back any long stems that might break in high winds. You can
then form wire cages around them and fill with leaves or purchase some rose
cones to protect them. It is important to protect the canes above the
graft. Otherwise the top of the rose will die and you will get new growth
from the root stock that will be unlike the hybrids grafted to the roots.

[IMG] code is On

Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
over-wintering floaters and little bugs J. LaQuiere Ponds 12 14-02-2004 07:17 AM
Wintering over shallow ponds NJ Ponds 3 31-08-2003 11:02 PM
wintering over potatoes Rob Dougan Gardening 4 18-08-2003 06:43 PM
Wintering over [was Herbs? ] Texensis Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM