Old 05-11-2005, 02:30 AM
Sam

Default Fan palm damaged by Wilma

My beautiful fan palm before Hurricane Wilma.
http://www.bonsett.com/fanpalm.jpg

Could someone identify and give me the correct name of my fan palm?

It was very damaged by the storm. I will send a picture tomorrow, but
must of the frawns are damaged. Can I cut it low and hope for it to re
grow the frawns?

Old 05-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Toni

"Sam" wrote in message
ups.com...
My beautiful fan palm before Hurricane Wilma.
http://www.bonsett.com/fanpalm.jpg

Could someone identify and give me the correct name of my fan palm?

It was very damaged by the storm. I will send a picture tomorrow, but
must of the frawns are damaged. Can I cut it low and hope for it to re
grow the frawns?

That is not a palm- it is a Traveler's tree- Ravenala madagascariensis.
http://mgonline.com/travler.html

You can remove the outermost leaves (the lower ones) but do not remove too
many as even as shredded as they are they continue to nourish the plant. I
try not to remove leaves before they yellow on their own.

Hurricane damage is unsightly to be sure- my entire garden is shredded. But
give the tree a bit of time to recover before you remove too many of it's
leaves. It may take a year or more before all the damaged leaves are gone.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 05-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Sam

Thanks for the quick response. Here is an after picture

http://www.bonsett.com/travler.jpg