Old 18-04-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unwanted California Fan Palm Seeds

I recently ordered some seeds from a company called Supreme Seeds and as a
thank you received a gift of two California Fan Palm seeds. Since these
apparently like hot dry conditions and I live in Shropshire, they don't seem
terribly appropriateg. Also they can apparently grow to 50 ft.

Now I have no idea whether these seeds will grow in this country or not, but
if anyone would like them please let me know and I will post them. You can
email me through the Reply-To address here, but put Seeds in your subject
line to avoid my spam filter - or you can use the contact details in my web
site at Stonybrook, below.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 19-04-2007, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
I recently ordered some seeds from a company called Supreme Seeds and as a
thank you received a gift of two California Fan Palm seeds. Since these
apparently like hot dry conditions and I live in Shropshire, they don't

seem
terribly appropriateg. Also they can apparently grow to 50 ft.

Now I have no idea whether these seeds will grow in this country or not,

but
if anyone would like them please let me know and I will post them. You

can
email me through the Reply-To address here, but put Seeds in your subject
line to avoid my spam filter - or you can use the contact details in my

web
site at Stonybrook, below.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

I grow Washingtonia robusta here, but with difficulty (it is protected over
winter) the ones on Tresco are also very tatty. I am now trying Washingtonia
filerfera but its not looking as if its going to be a lot tougher. It does
not seem to be cold that's the problem but wet on the leaves while its cold,
so hail and snow just make the leaves go brown,
It is however a very handsome palm and for a palm very fast growing.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 19-04-2007, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 08:43:49 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote
(in article ):

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
I recently ordered some seeds from a company called Supreme Seeds and as a
thank you received a gift of two California Fan Palm seeds. Since these
apparently like hot dry conditions and I live in Shropshire, they don't

seem
terribly appropriateg. Also they can apparently grow to 50 ft.

snip

I grow Washingtonia robusta here, but with difficulty (it is protected over
winter) the ones on Tresco are also very tatty. I am now trying Washingtonia
filerfera but its not looking as if its going to be a lot tougher. It does
not seem to be cold that's the problem but wet on the leaves while its cold,
so hail and snow just make the leaves go brown,
It is however a very handsome palm and for a palm very fast growing.

So would you like them Charlie?

Old 19-04-2007, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

No, thank you but I was just hoping to persuade others to have a go, mine is
now 15years old and has survived -9c (but with its leaves wrapped) so its
worth a go if you like palms! mine actually got a mention in a book
"Gardening on the edge" in the "Palms" chapter so you can tell they are not
that common outdoors in the UK.

Old 19-04-2007, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 18, 9:30 pm, Sally Thompson
wrote:
I recently ordered some seeds from a company called Supreme Seeds and as a
thank you received a gift of two California Fan Palm seeds. Since these
apparently like hot dry conditions and I live in Shropshire, they don't seem
terribly appropriateg. Also they can apparently grow to 50 ft.

Now I have no idea whether these seeds will grow in this country or not, but
if anyone would like them please let me know and I will post them. You can
email me through the Reply-To address here, but put Seeds in your subject
line to avoid my spam filter - or you can use the contact details in my web
site at Stonybrook, below.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
bed and breakfast near Ludlow:http://www.stonybrook-ludlow.co.uk
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church:http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Sally, I had another look at your site today and I am impressed with
everything you have done. On the site it says you would give further
details of the oak build. Would you be kind enough point me in the
right direction as we are having our house valued next month, it is
too big and we want to downsize but to something different.

Old 19-04-2007, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:41:44 +0100, wrote
(in article .com):

wrote:
[...]

Sorry for delay in replying Judith, have been out in garden all day and out
for yummy meal tonight (wedding anniversary so good excuse). I will email
you tomorrow. Is your google email OK? I have a demon one for you somewhere
I think.

Hic!

Old 19-04-2007, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church:http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk- Hide quoted text -

You've been at it again, haven't you? I hope it was a good one! My
wedding anniversary was last week when we were away and we toasted
each other, two days late, with Planteur or two or three, hic and
hic. Two days late because we forgot it was our anniversary.

My Demon email is fine to use, the only one I don't use on newsgroups
is the one provided by my NHS employer.

Judith