Old 11-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Richard Miller

Default Red & Yellow Bird of Paradise (Desert)

Red and Yellow Bird of Paradise (Desert in Phoenix, AZ) seeds are toxic so
would it be a good idea not to plant any in your back yard if you have a
dog?

Old 11-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Charles

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:05:48 -0700, "Richard Miller"
wrote:

Red and Yellow Bird of Paradise (Desert in Phoenix, AZ) seeds are toxic so
would it be a good idea not to plant any in your back yard if you have a
dog?

Caesalpinia gilliesii

Toxic part: Pods and seeds
Symptoms: Severe gastroenteritis

"Both humans abnd cattle have been poisened from these seeds but
usually recover. In 1962 at Lodi, San Joaquin county, [California]
six children became ill from eating seeds of this plant; all
recovered."

From "Poisonous Plants of California."
Old 11-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Vox Humana

"Richard Miller" wrote in message
Red and Yellow Bird of Paradise (Desert in Phoenix, AZ) seeds are toxic so
would it be a good idea not to plant any in your back yard if you have a
dog?

Many plants are toxic. Unless your dogs browse your plants I don't think it
would be an issue. I grow brugmansia and other toxic plants and my deck and
I have three dogs. They couldn't be less interested in eating them.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Jangchub

wrote:

Red and Yellow Bird of Paradise (Desert in Phoenix, AZ) seeds are toxic so
would it be a good idea not to plant any in your back yard if you have a
dog?

If you look at the stems of these plants, they are fierce with
thorn-like structures along the entire thing. I have several forms of
this plant in my gardens and no animals has browsed them, certainly
not a dog. I think it's safe.