Old 18-11-2005, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
told2b

Default Rock dust

Hi --
We had a speaker at our last garden club meeting who was promoting
the use of rock dust to accomplish soil remineralization. I was
wondering
if anyone in the newsgroup has/had any personal knowledge in using
in their gardens or compost piles.
I know that there are products in the marketplace like Azomite,
Stonemeal
and Agro-Winn, etc., but he was talking about going to gravel pits and
getting
'rock fines' and/or 'pond fines' for a nominal fee or no cost and using
this
in your garden.
TIA

Old 18-11-2005, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

"told2b" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi --
We had a speaker at our last garden club meeting who was promoting
the use of rock dust to accomplish soil remineralization. I was
wondering
if anyone in the newsgroup has/had any personal knowledge in using
in their gardens or compost piles.
I know that there are products in the marketplace like Azomite,
Stonemeal
and Agro-Winn, etc., but he was talking about going to gravel pits
and
getting
'rock fines' and/or 'pond fines' for a nominal fee or no cost and
using
this
in your garden.

I use dolomite lime from ground up marble tailings every couple of
years. Since I'm near the source, it's the cheapest. Below is a
description.

Marble
Marble consists of metamorphosed limestone or dolomite or both.
Although marble may be slightly soluble in water, karst will form in
marble areas as the minerals react chemically with dissolved carbon
dioxide and organic acids. Marble may be associated with contact or
regional metamorphism where phyllites, slates, schists, and
metaquartzites may be found. Marble is considered a carbonate rock.

Tom J

Old 19-11-2005, 08:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
told2b

Tom J wrote:
"told2b" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi --
We had a speaker at our last garden club meeting who was promoting
the use of rock dust to accomplish soil remineralization.

Snip
I use dolomite lime from ground up marble tailings every couple of
years. Since I'm near the source, it's the cheapest. Below is a
description.

Snip
Thanks for your reply. Did you encounter any problems from using
the lime? Any contamination from tall oil?
Thank again

Old 19-11-2005, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

"told2b" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom J wrote:
"told2b" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi --
We had a speaker at our last garden club meeting who was
promoting
the use of rock dust to accomplish soil remineralization.

Snip
I use dolomite lime from ground up marble tailings every couple of
years. Since I'm near the source, it's the cheapest. Below is a
description.

Snip
Thanks for your reply. Did you encounter any problems from using
the lime? Any contamination from tall oil?
Thank again

I'm in north Georgia, so my soil is mostly red clay and acid, so I
need the lime for most plants anyway. The people that do my soil
sample test tell me I'm fine for the plants I'm using.

Tom J

[IMG] code is On

Rock dust Broadback United Kingdom 21 25-02-2006 09:57 AM
Rock dust Ian Paul Freemanly Ponds 4 24-02-2006 07:25 PM
eat more rock, aka rock rocks! twisted IRONy Australia 0 24-11-2003 10:59 AM
Rock dust Judanne Permaculture 6 05-05-2003 01:08 PM
Rock dust Judanne Permaculture 12 26-12-2002 11:14 AM