Old 19-11-2005, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Vinny

Default Ivy on trees

Hello,

I have a few trees in my yard, oaks and pines, that have english ivy
climbing up the trunks.
Is this OK for the trees?

Thanks in advance,
Vin

Old 19-11-2005, 07:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis

Vinny wrote:
Hello,

I have a few trees in my yard, oaks and pines, that have
english ivy
climbing up the trunks.
Is this OK for the trees?

Thanks in advance,
Vin

No.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 19-11-2005, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brian

"Vinny" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a few trees in my yard, oaks and pines, that have english ivy
climbing up the trunks.
Is this OK for the trees?

Thanks in advance,
Vin~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ivy will do no damage, but many find it unsightly. It takes nothing
from the tree~~ only support. It can hide disease but also provides nesting
sites. Take your choice!!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 20-11-2005, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
paghat

In article , Lar
wrote:

In article ,
--- says...

"Vinny" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a few trees in my yard, oaks and pines, that have english ivy
climbing up the trunks.
Is this OK for the trees?

Thanks in advance,
Vin~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ivy will do no damage, but many find it unsightly. It takes nothing
from the tree~~ only support. It can hide disease but also provides

nesting
sites. Take your choice!!
Best Wishes Brian.

As the ivy grows into the tree it blocks out the sunlight off of the
bark, which in turn keeps the activation of dormant buds from happening
along with the development of new buds which produce new leaves, which
produces photosynthesis...

Here's my article "About Ivy Climbing Trees":
http://www.paghat.com/ivyclimbs.html
The short answer is it is harmless with very few exceptions. Certainly
covering the bark has no effect whatsoever on photosynthesis & buds are
fed from the roots not from the sun. If ivy could cover the a tree to the
dripline hiding the leaves that'd be a problem, but it is not inclined to
do that. There are a couple reasons to not keep such ivy, addressed in the
"climbing trees" article, the main one being that ivy increases wind
resistance & increases blow-down of shallowly rooted trees.

There's also the issue of "invasive vs non-invasive ivy" covered he
http://www.paghat.com/ivy.html
Frequently what people have is just nasty, nasty ivy that harms the
environment (unless you live where it is truly native & its a proper part
of an ecosystem adapted to it). It poisons birds & seeds into nearby
woodlands displacing native plantlife. If this is the one climbing the
trees:
http://www.paghat.com/hederahibernica.html
then just get rid of it &amp replace it with non-invasive cultivars, which
tend to be prettier anyway with great variety.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

Old 20-11-2005, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

In a word ... "No".

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

Old 21-11-2005, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carolyn LeCrone

In the Washington, D.C. area, the National Park Service sponsors work days
several times a year to remove English Ivy from National Parks as they
consider it invasive and damaging to trees.

Old 21-11-2005, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:41:35 -0800,
(paghat) wrote:
The short answer is it is harmless with very few exceptions. Certainly
covering the bark has no effect whatsoever on photosynthesis & buds are
fed from the roots not from the sun. If ivy could cover the a tree to the
dripline hiding the leaves that'd be a problem, but it is not inclined to
do that. There are a couple reasons to not keep such ivy, addressed in the
"climbing trees" article, the main one being that ivy increases wind
resistance & increases blow-down of shallowly rooted trees.

No, latent buds are stimulated by sunlight. If the ivy is on the
trunk--no biggie. Once it starts creeping out on the branches, you
get the same effect as "lion-tail" pruning: lots of long, narrow
branches with a few leaves at the ends, which break easily, and which
have no interior branches to preserve when they do break.

And, as was mentioned, it can provide camouflage for decay/disease and
creates a nice, moist microclimate that might harbor spores, insects,
or other bad stuff.

Also, some ivy tends to wrap around branches and create a "noose,"
strangling the branch beyond it.

If you maintain the ivy so it doesn't creep into the upper canopy, you
could keep it without much trouble (probably), but the most
tree-friendly approach would be to get it out and keep it out.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-235AT
(who has a tree with Haedra helix growing up to the first couple of
layers of branches because his wife likes it that way)

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Ivy and trees Judy and Dave G Gardening 4 19-05-2003 11:08 PM