Old 16-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Judy and Dave G

Default Ivy and trees

Hello garden friends

I have a lovely tree that is covered with english ivy. Just loaded. Can
this ivy hurt the tree? I pulled one of the stems and it appears to have
roots going into the tree's bark. Any way to get rid of the ivy without
killing the tree?

Thanks in advance.

Judy

Old 16-05-2003, 09:08 AM
gastropod

The 'roots' are primarily used to grip the surface the ivy is clinging to,
but the plant also uses osmosis to absorb a little food also. A large ivy
can do several things to a tree. The added weight is more than the tree has
grown for, it can strangle the tree as the ivy stems swell with age at the
same time as the tree, and can starve the tree when in poor soils.
It is best not to allow the ivy to become too large, by trimming the upper
extents out periodically.
Neil

Old 16-05-2003, 02:20 PM
animaux

On Thu, 15 May 2003 22:11:05 -0400, "Judy and Dave G"
wrote:

Hello garden friends

I have a lovely tree that is covered with english ivy. Just loaded. Can
this ivy hurt the tree? I pulled one of the stems and it appears to have
roots going into the tree's bark. Any way to get rid of the ivy without
killing the tree?

Thanks in advance.

Judy

A few notations he

http://www.nps.gov/redw/e-ivy.htm

http://www.noivyleague.com/Pages/english_ivy.html

If you only read one article:

http://www.noivyleague.com/Pages/ivy_trees.html

view the photo as well. If you have a pop-up preventative software running,
hold down the control key and double click on the link to the photo.

Old 17-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Judy and Dave G

Thanks to all. Looks like I will be pulling that stuff down tomorrow. I
read all references given and also a few I found on google. It appears that
the tree shouldn't have been harmed, most of the warnings are about weight
and competing for nutrients.

I am seriously considering mixing up some summer weight oil and spraying the
tree after the removal. Just in case there are some cracks in its bark.
Maybe the oil will help the tree to avoid some infestations or diseases
through those cracks. But I will read here before I do the spray, just in
case it is a(nother) stupid idea.

Judy

My tree thanks you also.

Old 19-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Lynn A.

Judy and Dave G wrote:
Hello garden friends

I have a lovely tree that is covered with english ivy. Just loaded. Can
this ivy hurt the tree? I pulled one of the stems and it appears to have
roots going into the tree's bark. Any way to get rid of the ivy without
killing the tree?

Thanks in advance.

Judy

My neighbors have had ivy growing on the trunk of a maple tree for
at least 30+ years now and the tree is in great shape. I've had ivy
growing on my smaller maple tree for 5 years now and see absolutely no
problems at all. I do spray the ivy with Miracle Grow when I feed the
other plants in the area.

Lynn

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Ivy and trees tab United Kingdom 8 11-11-2005 08:34 PM