Old 19-11-2005, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emerald

Default Yews - brown's or hicks?

I bought a couple of small potted yews that were labeled "Brown's Yew".
These have red berries on them, which is one of the reasons they
appealed to me. However the information I have
googled up does not mention anything about Brown's yew having berries.
From the pics I've seen, mine look more like Hick's yew, which do have

berries. I think they were mislabled. I'm guessing that I need a
male to keep the berries coming, is this correct? Also, can I prune
them
now to make them more identical? I've transplanted them into pots
which will be kept on my front porch. Thanks for any help.
Em

Old 25-11-2005, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emerald

Emerald wrote:
I bought a couple of small potted yews that were labeled "Brown's Yew".
These have red berries on them, which is one of the reasons they
appealed to me. However the information I have
googled up does not mention anything about Brown's yew having berries.
From the pics I've seen, mine look more like Hick's yew, which do have

berries. I think they were mislabled. I'm guessing that I need a
male to keep the berries coming, is this correct? Also, can I prune
them
now to make them more identical? I've transplanted them into pots
which will be kept on my front porch. Thanks for any help.
Em

Bumping in hope of reply. Thanks.

Em

Old 25-11-2005, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

"Emerald" wrote in message
oups.com...
Emerald wrote:
I bought a couple of small potted yews that were labeled "Brown's Yew".
These have red berries on them, which is one of the reasons they
appealed to me. However the information I have
googled up does not mention anything about Brown's yew having berries.
From the pics I've seen, mine look more like Hick's yew, which do have

berries. I think they were mislabled. I'm guessing that I need a
male to keep the berries coming, is this correct? Also, can I prune
them
now to make them more identical? I've transplanted them into pots
which will be kept on my front porch. Thanks for any help.
Em

I have a taxus hicksii - just one, and it gets berries. They are very
common, so it is likely that there are others in your neighborhood. I also
prune mine to keep it to the desired size and shape. If you are going to
pure it severely, I would wait until spring.