Old 26-11-2005, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ged

Default Lawn Newbie needs help

Guys

Posting from New Zealand so our springtime ends at start december and
autumn kicks in around Feb. These are our growing seasons ( apparently
) as I moved from the UK last year.

http://gedclink.fotopages.com/

Just moved into new house a while ago and eventually got around to
addressing the lawn areas. I. After cutting back the lawn I can now
clearly see about 40 patches of dead grass where the previous owner let
their dog ( a bitch ) pee everywhere. Around these dead patches the
grass appears to have gone mad and I have posted a couple of pics. It's
very elongated, almost wiry and grows sideways over the holes left in
the grass..

When I dethatched today, it brought up stalks from 3 to 6 inches long
all over the place!! I am talking around 5 metre square areas covered
in the stuff. It appeared large areas of the grass were made up of
this long stemmed grass, not the nice stuff I initially thought.

The majority of the grass generally appears rather "rough" in texture.
I suspect as with most newer properties in NZ it is readylawn put down
around 4 years ago. I have also enclosed a picture of a couple of small
areas.

Given the scope of the problem I was keen to hear your thoughts and
advice on wether I should kill off the grass towards the end of summer
and re-seed or will I get good results working with what I have.

Thanks for any advice. Please ask anything you need from the photos.