Old 27-12-2005, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Default Japanese Maple from Clipping - Can I?

Cross your fingers that your air layered plant survives the winter. What
special treatment do you give it? Do you have it planted out in the garden
or as a container plant?

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message

"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in
message . ..

The bottom line is that it just doesn't work and it is a waste of time
and materials trying.

OK, OK...you convince me. Tell you what - you no tell my three old layer
Japanese Red Maple, I not tell either. Deal?

Old 27-12-2005, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

What more can one say to someone who refuses to accept what their own
personal experience has taught them?

You said you yourself were unsuccessful in rooting the cuttings. There is no
deeper meaning "why". Why don't you just accept that and move on with your
life? Just let it go. Its not worth going insane over.

"Layne" wrote in message
Why most people say cutting grown maples don't do well on their own
roots vs. grafted maples is all nonsense. You just have to understand
the "why". You have to understand and know the care involved in
cutting grown Acer palmatums. I will not go into it here as Cereus
doesn't care to know the "why" and he doesn't deserve to understand
and know the care involved.

Regards,

Layne

Old 27-12-2005, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lawrence Akutagawa

No special treatment except 1-3 mix compost to dirt. Maple now in third
winter in 5 gallon nursery container.

.. .

Old 29-12-2005, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Layne

Well, if we all thought like you we wouldn't have known the earth was
round, had gone to the moon, or have airplanes, or known about all the
lifeforms in the deep ocean, I could go on...the thing is I'm not
going into uncharted territory here. It's been done successfully
before, just not by *me*. The Wright brothers didn't fly at Kitty Hawk
on the first try, or second, or third. In fact, it took them 4 years
to develop, through trial and error, the first flying airplane.
There's lots to learn regarding growing Acer palmatums from
cuttings...hopefully I won't take four years to figure it out.

Last season had been my first attempt and all was going quite well
with the handful of cuttings I took from my cultivars. One larger
cutting in particular was going on a month and looking fine, but I
failed to realize some thing and slapped my head at *my* stupid
mistake.

This coming season I'm going to do a couple of air layers, maybe some
grafts, and yes cuttings. I'll report back here and let you know if I
fail or succeed.

FWIW, my azalea cuttings (which should be easier to grow from
cuttings) didn't take either and for the same stupid reason my Acers
didn't take.

Layne

Old 29-12-2005, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Poor misguided "always have to have the last word" Layne.

No doubt that you are one of the Wrong brothers because you know nothing of
which you speak. The only thing that is flat around here is your retarded
attitude. If anybody were looking for intelligent life, you would not be
under any consideration. You can take you half wit straw man arguments and
shove it.

The difference between you and the Wright brothers is that they did a
thorough review of the literature and experimented many years before ever
making any claims. They also knew when to move on when one set of
assumptions didn't work out.

Actually the Wright brothers made their first flights with a full scale
flying machine at Kill Devil Hills because of the steady wind there. Their
first successful flying machine was actually a motorized glider rather than
an actual airplane.

Another great invention of the brothers is the wind tunnel for testing
models of their flying machines long before risking their lives trying to
fly a full scale model.

You will never figure out how to successfully grown Acer palmatum from
cuttings. Much greater minds that you have tried and failed. At least they
had the sense when to move on to more rewarding problems worth the effort
solving.

In the words of that great philosopher William Shatner: "Get a life".