Old 10-01-2006, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
DK1000

Default ID house plants please

Hi,

I have 3 (maybe 4 as 2 look kinda but not completely similar) different
houseplants that were here when I bought the house a year and a half ago, so
I kept them as I had no plants otherwise. They seem to be "keeping their
own", not dead, but not spectacular growing either, but maybe because I
never put them in bigger pots and it's winter? Here they a

http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/Plant1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/Plant2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/Plant3.jpg

I'm sure they're common, but I'm dumb when it comes to houseplants. If I
know what they are, I can look up how to take care of them, or if they're
even worth keeping. The one of 2 in the basket on the right in picture 2
kind of looks like what's growing in the pot to the left of it, but looks
different to me too. There's another one in that basket which is better seen
in picture 3. I have the plants in my windows, here in Cleveland, Ohio.
Thanks much.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
DK1000

I forgot to say that the plant in picture 3, is in a hanging pot, and it has
two long bare green stems, that are flexible, that go down to the floor,
and then some along the floor, maybe 6 feet long each. I think those long
stems may have had leaves at one time, but since fallen off, as probably not
enough light. Should I cut those long stems off, let them grow as is, or
somehow get them up into the window light? Thanks again.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:45:14 -0500, "DK1000"
wrote:

[...]

plant 1 looks like golden pothos, or maybe philodendron.

image two includes a boston fern, a "lucky bamboo", and one
other--maybe a palm of some kind?

image 3 is two plants, probably you are asking about the "lucky
bamboo" (dracaena sp.)

Old 24-01-2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Suzy O

"DK1000" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have 3 (maybe 4 as 2 look kinda but not completely similar) different
houseplants that were here when I bought the house a year and a half ago, so
I kept them as I had no plants otherwise. They seem to be "keeping their
own", not dead, but not spectacular growing either, but maybe because I
never put them in bigger pots and it's winter? Here they a

http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/Plant1.jpg

This is a pothos, sometimes called devil's ivy, tho not an ivy or philodendron. It likes a bright room, but not hot direct sun. Watering: let the pot go about 1/4 dry before watering, but then soak it till the soil can't hold any more water. It "could" be a golden pothos, but I think that one yellow leaf is about to fall of, and isn't consistent with the rest of the leaves.

http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/Plant2.jpg

3 plants here. A fern -- could be Boston fern; a palm, and a variegated dracena. All like a bright location, but hot hot direct sun -- good office plants, btw. Average water requirements -- let go 1/2 to 1/3 dry before soaking down.

http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/Plant3.jpg

Another dracena, I think. But without seeing the stem, I can't tell if it's a corn plant or dracena, but am more inclinded to think dracena.

I'm sure they're common, but I'm dumb when it comes to houseplants.

Don't think you're "dumb."
No one was born knowing about plants and their care.
If I
know what they are, I can look up how to take care of them, or if they're
even worth keeping.

If you like them, they're worth keeping. Plant selection is simply a matter of personal preference.

Hope this helps!
Suzy O, Wisconsin Zone 5

Old 24-01-2006, 11:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Old 26-01-2006, 09:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
DK1000

Thanks much everyone for the info, looks like I'll keep them as now I know
how to take care of them.