Old 19-01-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
junkyardcat

Default Hydrangea Question

I have several Nikko Blue Hydrangea plants. We had a hard freeze about a
month and a half ago, and all of my plants turned brown and crispy (in other
words, they look dead). Are they dead, or is that the way they look in the
Winter? If I cut them to the ground now, will they come back up in the
Spring?

Thanks for your help
Angie

Old 19-01-2006, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

"junkyardcat" wrote:

I have several Nikko Blue Hydrangea plants. We had a hard freeze about a
month and a half ago, and all of my plants turned brown and crispy (in other
words, they look dead). Are they dead, or is that the way they look in the
Winter? If I cut them to the ground now, will they come back up in the
Spring?

That is normal. Nikko Blue Hydrangea is a type of Hydrangea
macrophylla. Macrophylla and quercifolia (oakleaf) bloom on last years
wood. Don't cut them back until after they bloom. They bloom on old
wood. They should be pruned immediately after flowering or not at all!
When pruning just cut out the old stalks that just finished blooming.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 20-01-2006, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
vincent p. norris

Macrophylla and quercifolia (oakleaf) bloom on last years
wood. Don't cut them back until after they bloom. They bloom on old
wood.

Can you tell me why my hydrangea, which I think is that type, blooms
only once every five or six or seven years? I don't prune it, but I
break off the dried sticks each spring when the rest of the plant has
leafed out and it's obvious those dry sticks will not.

When it does bloom, it's gorgeous.

Thanks. vince norris
Old 20-01-2006, 09:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Wheeler

I agree with the advice on Hydrangea macrophylla, but not H. quercifolia.
My opinion is if you have to prune H. quercifolia, you planted it in the
wrong place (they can get very big, but are beautiful). Of course, for
both, prune any dead wood.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7
"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"junkyardcat" wrote:

I have several Nikko Blue Hydrangea plants. We had a hard freeze about a
month and a half ago, and all of my plants turned brown and crispy (in
other
words, they look dead). Are they dead, or is that the way they look in
the
Winter? If I cut them to the ground now, will they come back up in the
Spring?

That is normal. Nikko Blue Hydrangea is a type of Hydrangea
macrophylla. Macrophylla and quercifolia (oakleaf) bloom on last years
wood. Don't cut them back until after they bloom. They bloom on old
wood. They should be pruned immediately after flowering or not at all!
When pruning just cut out the old stalks that just finished blooming.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

[IMG] code is On

Hydrangea pruning question (yet another one) dgk United Kingdom 1 12-07-2005 10:06 AM
Hydrangea clusters question [email protected] Gardening 0 01-06-2005 06:06 AM
Hydrangea colour question Graham Dixon United Kingdom 5 08-07-2004 01:03 PM
Hydrangea question Mvkehoe Gardening 3 15-05-2003 02:32 PM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM