Old 29-01-2006, 10:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fiddler

Default First Post

Greetings All,

Just wanted to introduce myself and meet the gang. I'm starting a
garden this year on the west side of my 2 acre property. I've looked
at all of the conventional methods of earth gardening and have
determined that my garden sight needs a lot of work before I can plant.

Right now, it's under about 2 inches of water from the 3 inch rainfall

we had over the weekend. With this in mind, raised beds and good
drainage seems the only option and the time and expense involved with
having that ready for spring planting is a little bit of a problem.
I've ordered my seeds and built my seed starting rack but I'm now
thinking that maybe Hydroponics is the way to go this year and work on
the garden plot between now and the fall. Lots of compost material
with a two acre yard.

Since the plot that I am considering is covered with Bermuda grass, I
am considering raised beds in a 12" to 18" frame. The problem with
this is finding enough good garden soil and organic material to fill
the beds and still have time to get them planted. I bought a book on
lasagna gardening and think this is promising. The author says you can
plant in the beds as soon as they are built. I would love to hear from
anyone that have overcome similar problems and the methods they used.

Since I'm new to this group, your opinions would be invaluable in
determining
a proper course. I'll admit, Hydroponics is a complete paradigm shift
for me as I grew up in the cotton fields. I look forward to hearing
from you and hope that I can add something to the group.

Best Regards

Bob (Fiddler) Sawyer

Old 29-01-2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

"Fiddler" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings All,

Just wanted to introduce myself and meet the gang. I'm starting a
garden this year on the west side of my 2 acre property. I've looked
at all of the conventional methods of earth gardening and have
determined that my garden sight needs a lot of work before I can plant.

Right now, it's under about 2 inches of water from the 3 inch rainfall

Why? Is your soil a clay base, of is it because your yard is lower than
theneighbors? If it is clay, your raised gardens will require you to bring
in dirt rather than use what you have there.

we had over the weekend. With this in mind, raised beds and good
drainage seems the only option and the time and expense involved with
having that ready for spring planting is a little bit of a problem.
I've ordered my seeds and built my seed starting rack but I'm now
thinking that maybe Hydroponics is the way to go this year and work on
the garden plot between now and the fall. Lots of compost material
with a two acre yard.

First I would decide what I wanted to grow. Raised beds will allow you to
plant things that you will never move again, such as asparagus, artichokes,
etc. (I dont move my garlic bed either). Also wastch the entire area for
the availability of 6 to 8 hours of sunshine a day. Plant things requiring
"full sun" in those areas.

Since the plot that I am considering is covered with Bermuda grass, I

Get rid of that first. If you dont it will come back to haunt you. The one
I am familiar with comes back from seed, not roots. To eliminate that,
spray it with a grass killer such as "Over the Top". Then after you have
killed the existing plants, I use a seed sterilant such as Preen.

am considering raised beds in a 12" to 18" frame. The problem with
this is finding enough good garden soil and organic material to fill
the beds and still have time to get them planted.

Work on one or two. Do what you can this year and then do another one or
two for next year.

I bought a book on
lasagna gardening and think this is promising. The author says you can
plant in the beds as soon as they are built.

You didnt say where you live, but I would think weather would plat an
important part in deciding when you would plant.

Good luck and let us know how you did. Dwayne

Old 29-01-2006, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

It also sounds "flat". What we did with our 25x25' city back yard was dig a pond and
use the dirt to create raised beds (just for the interest).
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/2000/p2000.htm
the top few inches of the bed was always compost of course, and we mulch to increase
organics.
http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/sit/sit.htm
I really truly have to build the web pages showing the transformation of the raised
beds. sorry. Ingrid

"Fiddler" wrote:
Right now, it's under about 2 inches of water from the 3 inch rainfall
we had over the weekend. With this in mind, raised beds and good
drainage seems the only option and the time and expense involved with
having that ready for spring planting is a little bit of a problem.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 29-01-2006, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
loonyhiker

I had a spot in the back corner of my backyard that always seemed to be
under water. My backyard slanted down hill and all the water seemed to
puddle there. I tilled a HUGE flower bed across the whole back yard (200
ft. wide by 10 ft. deep). Since I have red clay, I added peat moss and
tilled it in and then added about 3 inches of mulch on top. Now that spot is
the best spot in the whole yard. 7 years ago I planted a magnolia bush
about 3 feet high that my friend rooted for me from his bush and thought it
would take years and years for it to do good. Everyone tells me that they
have never seen one grow so fast. Now it is about 15 feet high already.

"Fiddler" wrote in message
[...]

[IMG] code is On

First lawn, first post. In need of advice.... TeaBag Lawns 21 07-06-2013 08:35 AM
first post ...baby fish lrpiam Ponds 3 19-07-2004 05:09 PM
first post ...baby fish CRC Ponds 5 17-07-2004 05:04 PM
Post Your Three Favorite Movies - I Post Facts About You The Magnficent Bastard Gardening 275 10-03-2004 01:47 AM
First Time Post: Red Ox Tiller Mark Gardening 0 31-03-2003 06:44 PM