Old 14-07-2004, 01:11 PM
CRC

Default first post ...baby fish

Are shubunkins black when young or are they colored??? I am hoping I have
baby shubunkins but who can tell when they dart around so fast your lucky if
you just got a glimpse?

Thanks for all of your help...A pond is always a work in progress.
Connie

Old 14-07-2004, 03:08 PM
SVTKate

" George" wrote in message

*Snip*
When viewing the fish from above, the females
| will appear fat, while the males will appear slender.

****Sigh!*****
Some thing NEVER change!
;ŹD
Kate

Old 14-07-2004, 11:03 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Good questions, I've seen tiny shubunkins that have color, but I can't say
if right out of the egg they were colored, or all white or all black.

Now my koi fry hatch out all white, and start getting noticable colors at
about 1/2 inch.

My question is, does a black koi start out white and turn black or does it
hatch black and stay black? ~ jan

Old 15-07-2004, 05:06 AM
Gail Futoran

"CRC" wrote in message
Are shubunkins black when young or are they colored??? I

am hoping I have
baby shubunkins but who can tell when they dart around so

fast your lucky if
you just got a glimpse?

Thanks for all of your help...A pond is always a work in

progress.
Connie

I had two baby goldfish last year that I thought at
first were minnows (the dark gray ones) until the babies
started to show some color. Now one is
white with orange markings, the other is a
pure red-gold. Yet both started out very dark.
I think you can't tell what color(s) they're going
to be until they get a bit bigger.

Gail

Old 15-07-2004, 06:02 AM
CRC

Thanks for your informative answers..I'll just keep watching the little
rascals. I thought I had a spawning koi, the guys chased her, she layed on
the bottom of the pond and they chased some more, but I didn's see any of
the signs you spoke about. So, maybe she is just round and always hungry.
Gosh, I did not know a koi started out white..The great things you learn in
this group is amazing.
cr

Old 17-07-2004, 05:04 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Good questions, I've seen tiny shubunkins that have color, but I can't say
if right out of the egg they were colored, or all white or all black.

Now my koi fry hatch out all white, and start getting noticable colors at
about 1/2 inch.

My question is, does a black koi start out white and turn black or does it
hatch black and stay black? ~ jan

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:08:46 -0600, "CRC" wrote:

Are shubunkins black when young or are they colored??? I am hoping I have
baby shubunkins but who can tell when they dart around so fast your lucky if
you just got a glimpse?

Thanks for all of your help...A pond is always a work in progress.
Connie

First lawn, first post. In need of advice.... TeaBag Lawns 21 07-06-2013 08:35 AM
2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
first post ...baby fish lrpiam Ponds 3 19-07-2004 05:09 PM
Post Your Three Favorite Movies - I Post Facts About You The Magnficent Bastard Gardening 275 10-03-2004 01:47 AM
Baby Squirrels, Was: Saw my first robin today :( zhanataya Gardening 2 08-02-2003 08:24 PM