Old 21-03-2003, 07:08 PM
gary

Default squirls

I read some where that you can discourage squirrels in bird feeders using
cayenne pepper. How do you mix it. Is effective?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Old 21-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Andrew Duane USG

In article "gary" writes:
I read some where that you can discourage squirrels in bird feeders using
cayenne pepper. How do you mix it. Is effective?

Doesn't really work.

The only means of it are the few REALLY good squirrel-proof designs,
or just giving in and feeding the squirrels too. They're cute and
I like seeing them around. I give them their own food supply so they
leave the bird food alone.

--

Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7)
HP/Compaq Corporation

110 Spit Brook Road

M/S ZKO3-3/U14
Nashua, NH 03062-2698 (603)-884-1294

Old 21-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Frank Logullo

"gary" wrote in message
I read some where that you can discourage squirrels in bird feeders using
cayenne pepper. How do you mix it. Is effective?

I haven't had any luck with hot pepper flakes. Just got back from park
where I dropped off one of the little buggers I caught in my Hav-a-hart
Frank

Old 21-03-2003, 08:56 PM
JWB

"gary" wrote in message
I read some where that you can discourage squirrels in bird feeders using
cayenne pepper. How do you mix it. Is effective?

Leave food out for them too, and they'll leave the bird food alone.

JWB

Old 21-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Phisherman

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:57:38 -0800, "gary"
wrote:

I read some where that you can discourage squirrels in bird feeders using
cayenne pepper. How do you mix it. Is effective?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Get a Hav-A-Hart trap and relocate the squirrels.

Old 21-03-2003, 11:44 PM
TakeThisOut

As explained to me by the cooperative extention and my county offices -
nuisence squirrels should be drowned, not relocated. The squirrels have no
natural predator and end up inside attics, sheds and crawlspaces.

A squirrel relocated into the territory of other squirrels will be eaten alive
or chased until it's been killed or hit by a car.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 22-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Ian

I shoot them. That way they don't bother anyone or anything...

Ian
Old 22-03-2003, 01:08 AM
keith nuttle

All of the comments about capturing the squirrel and relocating it,
remind me of the joke about the man who is trying to get rid of the cat,
each time he takes it further from his home but the cat always beats him
home. The last time he takes the out and the cat gets back rather
quickly. Hours later the wife gets a call from the man who asked if the
cat is back and if so can she ask him for direction he can use to get home.

The only squirrel proof bird feeder I ever had, I created by accident. I
hung the feeder on a branch on a tree, using two straighten coat
hangers. When the squirrel tried to come from above the joint between
the hangers would throw him off. When they tried to jump they would get
thrown off by the swing of the bird feeder. After about three years a
couple got the technique down, but only a couple learned to control the
jump so as not to swing the feeder.

Old 22-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Warren

keith nuttle wrote:

The only squirrel proof bird feeder I ever had, I created by accident.

hung the feeder on a branch on a tree, using two straighten coat
hangers. When the squirrel tried to come from above the joint between
the hangers would throw him off. When they tried to jump they would

get
thrown off by the swing of the bird feeder. After about three years

couple got the technique down, but only a couple learned to control

the
jump so as not to swing the feeder.

My problem with the squirrels isn't that they're getting fed. And
they're coming at times that the birds aren't around. They co-exist
nicely, as a matter of fact.

My problem is the squirrels are sloppy eaters, throwing a half dozen
seeds to the ground for every one they eat. And things are worse when I
hang the feeder in such a way that it swings when they try to get to it!

I'm conflicted about whether I should raise the feeders so I don't keep
bumping my head when I mow under them, but doing so would make refilling
them harder.

I'd feed the squirrels to discourage them from wanting to get at the
bird feed, except that feeding them on the ground would attract other
less desired wildlife. I don't need skunks and raccoons at all!

I finally decided to take the feeders down when I mow under them, and I
just accept that the patch under where they hang is building up a mulch
of bird seed.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 23-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

keith nuttle wrote:

gary wrote:
[...]

Perky Pet sells a weight sensitive, spring loaded, square tubular feeder
for about $20.00. Birds don't weigh enough to shut the feeder ports,
but squirrels do. Mine's worked perfectly for the last two years.

Old 24-03-2003, 06:44 AM
TakeThisOut

Hang the feeders from a limb HIGH using plastic-coated cable, and a pulley. Tie
it off somewhere convenient. Lower the feeder(s) to fill them, raise them to
feed and/or mow under them. No squirrel can shimmy down a thin, plastic coated
cable.

Also - a squirrel will not jump over an obstruction, such as a large, round
dish secured on a pole or tree or electrical wire, if it cannot see over it and
where it is jumping to. It's like the "Leap of faith" on "Indiana Jones and the
Holy Grail."

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 24-03-2003, 08:44 PM
LeeAnne

Ah yes

'The cat came back, the very next day. The cat came back, they thought he
was a goner, but the cat came back, he just couldn't stay away'