Old 21-03-2003, 10:32 PM
cc0058529

Default African violets

I love growing African violets, but am a novice and having some problems
that I hope you can help me with.
1.my bottom leaves get limp and droop and die
2.What is the best way to propagate them? I tried sticking a leaf in some
potting soil after dipping it in rooting powder and it took, but then it
got a white powdery look to it and doesn't look too good. The other one
took, but is doing that limp droopy thing.
Thanks

Old 21-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Phisherman

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 17:14:03 -0500, "cc0058529"
wrote:

I love growing African violets, but am a novice and having some problems
that I hope you can help me with.
1.my bottom leaves get limp and droop and die
2.What is the best way to propagate them? I tried sticking a leaf in some
potting soil after dipping it in rooting powder and it took, but then it
got a white powdery look to it and doesn't look too good. The other one
took, but is doing that limp droopy thing.
Thanks

Dropping bottom leaves is normal for AFs. But, if a leaf touches the
rim of the pot, salts from the pot could cause the leaf to rot and
die. You can line the top rim with a strip of aluminum foil to
prevent this. Eventually the AF will grow a "neck" from the loss of
lower leaves and then needs to be repotted.

A "white powdery look" could mean mealy bug. If so, use a Q-tip
dipped in rubbing alcohol to touch each bug.

I think the best way to propagate AFs is to use a rooting medium such
as vermiculite. Use the rooting hormone powder too. Rooting in a
rooting medium will produce a stronger root system than using just
water. If you root an AF in water when it is removed the roots clump
together and that's not good.

I think anyone who grows AFs can't grow just one.
Old 21-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Iris Cohen

1.my bottom leaves get limp and droop and die

Usually caused by overwatering or soggy soil.

.What is the best way to propagate them? I tried sticking a leaf in some
potting soil after dipping it in rooting powder and it took, but then it got a
white powdery look to it and doesn't look too good.

Do not use rooting powder. You want to encourage sprouting first, then rooting
later. Make a clean slanted cut on the petiole and plant it in Perlite or a
soilless rooting mix. Then put a baggie over it. Keep it moist, but not wet.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 24-03-2003, 10:08 PM
John T. Jarrett

This site has been VERY helpful in my introduction to African Violets:

http://www.rachelsreflections.com/

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
"cc0058529" wrote in message
I love growing African violets, but am a novice and having some problems
that I hope you can help me with.
1.my bottom leaves get limp and droop and die
2.What is the best way to propagate them? I tried sticking a leaf in some
potting soil after dipping it in rooting powder and it took, but then it
got a white powdery look to it and doesn't look too good. The other one
took, but is doing that limp droopy thing.
Thanks

[IMG] code is On

Window for African Violets and a Leaf with Roots? ... Linda W. Gardening 4 19-08-2003 02:12 PM
African violets Catbird Texas 0 28-04-2003 06:32 AM
African Violets D_Mozina Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
multiple african violets in the same pot???? Ted Byers Gardening 3 09-03-2003 07:57 PM
best way to water African Violets Iris Cohen Gardening 5 06-03-2003 05:39 AM