Old 23-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Jubeltine Charmon

Default Gladiolus in a container?

I would like to plant some gladiolus in a container. How deep a
container would I need? How far apart would each corm need to be
planted? When would a good time to plant them in Connecticut be?
Thanks very much!
Old 23-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Bill R

Jubeltine Charmon wrote:
I would like to plant some gladiolus in a container. How deep a
container would I need? How far apart would each corm need to be
planted? When would a good time to plant them in Connecticut be?
Thanks very much!

Glads should be planted about 4-6 inches deep and they have a
very shallow root system so a pot 8 inches high would be fine. I
have planted a dozen in a 10 inch pot and they did fine. If you
like you could start them now inside the house and put them
outside when chance of frost is past in your area (late April if
I remember correctly).

What I like to do with glads is plant a couple of dozen every two
weeks or so beginning the first week of April (that may be too
early for your area). That way I have them for cut flowers from
July through August (or September).

After the glads bloom you should let the foliage alone so that a
new bulb develops for next year. Glads should be feed every few
weeks after the foliage starts coming up. Feeding helps bigger
bulbs develop for next year. The bulbs should be dug up in the
fall and stored in a cool dry place. It is a good idea to put
any container grown bulbs in the ground after they bloom. They
develop better bulbs for next year.
--
Bill R.

Remove No-Junk-Mail- in e-mail address to reply by e-mail

Old 23-03-2003, 03:44 PM
SAS567

Another bit of advice,, make sure your container is large enough to avoid
tipping over. I made that mistake last year and the glads were too top heavy
for the container. The wind would constantly tip the pot over until I finally
wrapped a nylon around the stalks and tied it to the railing of my deck.
Good Luck.
Sue in Mi.
Old 23-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Jubeltine Charmon

SAS567 writes:

Another bit of advice,, make sure your container is large enough to avoid
tipping over. I made that mistake last year and the glads were too top heavy
for the container. The wind would constantly tip the pot over until I finally
wrapped a nylon around the stalks and tied it to the railing of my deck.
Good Luck.
Sue in Mi.

That's a very good point, thank you!