Old 31-08-2003, 09:02 PM
d27

Default Gladiolus From Seed and Cormels

Lat year I allowed my glads to go to seed. Then as a treat I actually dug
them up too. Anyway I planted the corms and the Cormels(baby corms) out in
various posts and I also planted out pots of the seed.

Now I have around 50 Glads at various stages of development. I have around
10 that flowered this year and 40 that threw up between 1 and four leaves.

I imagine the majority of the Cormels will be between pea and bean sized.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me for the coming winter. I doubt
whether they will survive outside in pots.

My choices are An unheated dark garage, a shed (light but probably damp and
definately colder that the garage, or a centrally heated house.

Old 02-09-2003, 10:15 PM
M K Rogerson

"d27" wrote in message
Lat year I allowed my glads to go to seed. Then as a treat I actually dug
them up too. Anyway I planted the corms and the Cormels(baby corms) out

in
various posts and I also planted out pots of the seed.

Now I have around 50 Glads at various stages of development. I have

around
10 that flowered this year and 40 that threw up between 1 and four leaves.

I imagine the majority of the Cormels will be between pea and bean sized.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me for the coming winter. I

doubt
whether they will survive outside in pots.

My choices are An unheated dark garage, a shed (light but probably damp

and
definately colder that the garage, or a centrally heated house.

Conventional wisdom suggests light rather than dark and frost free so shed
probably better than garage. I usually store them in the spare bedroom, a
luxury you may not have, and persuade my better half the heating can be off
in there unless anyone is coming to stay. I'd suggest the shed for light and
take them into the garage during very cold spells.

Martin R

Old 02-09-2003, 11:08 PM
d27

"M K Rogerson" wrote in message

"d27" wrote in message
[...]

Martin,

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure I will cope with moving them about.
As I will probably have forgotten about them by the time the mid January
freeze hits. I have a lighter end to the garage, so I will probably keep
them there.

Phil