Old 24-03-2003, 07:32 PM
HH

Default Hoe with 2" blade?

Does anyone know where I can buy a hoe with a blade of about 2"? I have a
hoe with a V-shaped blade, but that is unsatisfactory since it just pushes
the weeds aside. I need to buy a 2"-blade hoe with a normal stand-up length
handle, and also with a short handle of 6-12" for close work. I would
appreciate an email reply as well as a posting here. Many thanks.

Harlan
----
Soft Adventure tours, the way to go, at http://softadventure.net/tours.htm
Australia and New Zealand, November 2003,
http://softadventure.net/OZ-NZ2003.htm

Old 24-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Anonymo421

I think it might be called a "nursery hoe" or something similar. I just took
an abrasive cutter to an old standard hoe and then used a file to put a new
bevel on. Works great.

--
Bugger off, Chirac.
Old 24-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Dwight Sipler

Anonymo421 wrote:

I think it might be called a "nursery hoe" or something similar. I just took
an abrasive cutter to an old standard hoe and then used a file to put a new
bevel on. Works great.

I'm not familiar with such a narrow long handled hoe.

The one with the 6-12 inch handle sounds like a "cape cod weeder", which
is kind of a bent bar (sharpened) on a handle. It's a hand tool for
getting your face right into the weeds while you work. I've seen them in
some garden catalogs, but I don't have any right here to look at so I
don't remember which ones.

FWIW: I use a collinear hoe extensively, also called a Coleman hoe. It's
a thin metal blade, about 3/4" x 6" by 0.050", spring steel, on a 5.5'
handle. Instead of bending over to chop the weeds, with your thumbs
pointing at the blade, you stand upright and sweep with your thumbs away
from the blade, like a broom (remember them?). It makes a big difference
on my back (and knees). The hoe blade is replaceable, but the ones I
have have lasted 5 or more years under farm conditions. However, it only
works on small weeds (less than about 2" high). The larger ones are too
tough. On the other hand, it's so easy to use you can do it before the
weeds get too large.
Old 25-03-2003, 01:08 AM
burl

Sounds like you need a Circle Hoe! We carry the short handled Circle Hoe in
our Cool Tools section at
http://store.yahoo.com/emerysgardenstore/cihoehato.html

It's not on our site but I know that there is also a long handled circle
hoe - I don't think you'll have a hard time finding it. If you can't find it
drop us an email through our site and we can locate one.

Thanks,
Burl

.net...

Old 25-03-2003, 02:20 AM
jc

A.M. Leonard at http://www.amleo.com/
has an onion hoe that might work for you. The blade is 7 inches wide
but the sides are only 1 3/4 inches and it is sharpened on the three
sides so you can use the 1 3/4 inch width. -Olin

.net...