Old 25-03-2003, 05:56 AM
gregpresley

Default Transplanting lupines

I had heard that these are rather tricky to grow, so I planted the seeds
given to me by a friend - (I'm sure they're the purple variety of Russel
Hybrids)- quite thickly. But a great many of them sprouted and survived the
winter, and now are too close together. (Thye are all looking very healthy
and vigorous - about 6-10 inches high alreay. I'd like to transplant some
and give some away, but I'm not if this is recommended for this perennial,
as I've heard that it grows a taproot. Has anyone had experience (positive
or negatvie) and/or advice to give about successfully transplanting lupines?

Old 25-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Cereoid+10+

Lupines usually don't survive transplanting.

All you can do is thin out the plants that aren't to your liking.

You can try potting them up but don't get your hopes up that they will
survive. The taproot is not the problem. There are other perennials with
taproots that transplant well.

Old 25-03-2003, 11:08 PM
it's me

Cereoid+10+ wrote:

[...]

I've moved lupines and they've made it, young ones. Dig them DEEP and on
both sides to get as much of the root as you can without breaking it.

The worst that you'll end up with is a hole to be filled with this years
seeds and your friends will have to wait until next year or this fall
for plants.

Go for it

Kevin

Old 26-03-2003, 05:20 AM
B & J

"it's me" wrote in message
Cereoid+10+ wrote:

[...]

Seedling lupines transplant relatively easily providing you dig the new home
and soak it with water before you dig the new occupant. As Kevin said, dig
DEEP and be sure to take as much soil and roots along with the plant as you
can. It helps if you do the moving in the evening or on a cool, cloudy day.
Water daily for the next week, and even plants that become wilted usually
survive. I've had older plants survive when I did this and moved them early
enough in the season. BTW, the sooner in the season they are moved, the
higher the survival rate.

John