Old 27-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Sabaa Mundia

Default begonies

hi there,
i live in new york and just bought begonia bulbs from lowes as they grow
well in shade, i wanted to know do these bulbs multiply with time.
thank you,
sabaa

Old 28-03-2003, 03:56 AM
B & J

"Sabaa Mundia" wrote in message
hi there,
i live in new york and just bought begonia bulbs from lowes as they grow
well in shade, i wanted to know do these bulbs multiply with time.
thank you,
sabaa

If the begonias you purchased were tuberous begonias (tubers, not bulbs),
the answer is no. They can be cut apart when the tubers become larger, but
they won't multiply on their own.

John

Old 29-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Françoise

What I have been doing for the past 2 years was making cuttings of tubero=
us
begonia in the falls. I have now 20 cuttings flowering on and off in the =
house
right now. It is beautiful

Fran=E7oise.

B & J wrote:

If the begonias you purchased were tuberous begonias (tubers, not bulbs=

),

Old 29-03-2003, 04:08 AM
B & J

"Françoise" wrote in message
What I have been doing for the past 2 years was making cuttings of tuberous
begonia in the falls. I have now 20 cuttings flowering on and off in the
house
right now. It is beautiful

Françoise.

It surprises me that you are able to propagate tuberous begonias from
cuttings taken in the fall. My tuberous begonias became dormant each fall,
and the leaves fell off and the stems died back. It's possible to start them
from stem cuttings taken early in the spring, but growing the tuber to a
size that will survive the natural dormancy period in one growing season is
difficult, but not impossible. Are you sure you're not talking about
fiberous begonias, particularly if they're flowering in the house right now?
My tuberous begonias never began flowering before June.

John

Old 30-03-2003, 03:20 AM
Françoise

How could I take one type for another? Fibrous Begonias are plants with l=
ots of
little flowers and their leaves are small; Tuberous ones have few big flo=
wers in
many bright colours. Some are double and some are single large flowers. T=
he
doubles flowers seem to be growing with a simple one of the same colour, =
on the
same stem and more or less at the same time. Their leaves are big; I meas=
ure a
leaf of one plant. It measures 7 x 4 inches.

Fibrous Begonias are cheep to buy. Last year, I gathered seeds and plant =
them in
the house. They are very successful. I planted some set in January to see=
if
they would germinate and they did and I kept some as a houseplant and the=
y are
flowering now. I have some white and pink in the same pot. I tried some c=
uttings
and they died.

On the other hand, I am having great success with the Tuberous Begonias. =
Two
summers ago I had one pink, one red, one orange and one yellow. Last year=
only
the yellow one died. Last summer I had an orange one and a deep red one f=
rom the
cuttings of the previous year. They were bigger than the mother plant. Th=
ey had
huge flowers some were at least 2.5 in. in diameter. I had also a few pin=
k ones
but the plants did not come as big and the flowers though beautiful were
slightly smaller. May be it was the location they were in. Last summer I =
bought
6 single ones. Their flowers were large some at least 3 in, in diameter. =
The
colours were varying from yellow to gold to orange almost red. It was ver=
striking. The plants were quite big.

Last fall I took a lot of cuttings from all the Tuberous Begonias I had. =
Only
one orange double survived. But the pink and the red ones were successful=
=2E I
have 6 red plants flowering on and off and this from one plant of last su=
mmer.
The simple ones also have been flowering on and off. I do not think that =
any
simple ones died.

The flowers started in January (some of the cuttings were done in Septemb=
er) and
since then there were at least 2 flowering all the time. One flowered for=
3
weeks in March. At the beginning, they were smaller and fragile lasting j=
ust a
few days. Now they are getting big and the flowers are almost as big as t=
hey
were in the garden. I had to transplant many because the pots were too sm=
all. I
started them under lights but my seedlings have replaced them. At one tim=
e this
month, I had 7 plants flowering at the same time. When they flower, I dis=
play
them in the family room. It is so nice

I got the idea from this newsgroup. I learned the process from WEB pages.=
tried other plants without success. It is fun but the problem is that it =
takes a
lot of space. On the other hand I never had any success in keeping the tu=
bers;
they do not survived. The same is true with Dahlias. I want to try some c=
uttings
of Dahlias next fall.

Try it with T. Begonias. I am certain that you will have beautiful flower=
s the
following year.

Fran=E7oise.