Old 28-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Fleemo

Default Different Drip Rates in Soaker Hoses?

Are there different drip rates in soaker hoses? I'm talking about the
ones with built-in emitters every 12-18". I've had to replace some
sections of my drip irrigation system, but some of the emitters only
drip a fraction of what the others drip.
Old 28-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Warren

Fleemo wrote:
Are there different drip rates in soaker hoses? I'm talking about the
ones with built-in emitters every 12-18". I've had to replace some
sections of my drip irrigation system, but some of the emitters only
drip a fraction of what the others drip.

Yes. The package should show a GPH (gallons per hour) or LPH (liters per
hour) rating. If you bought them in bulk, the box on the shelf would
tell you. The brands I've seen use colors so one can visually tell the
difference.

Or some of them could just be clogged. Whenever you open up the hose,
such as when you're replacing or adding an emitter, you run the danger
of a little dirt getting into the line. Try removing the end cap at the
far end, and then turn on the water to flush any dirt out the far end.
(If you use a pressure regulator on the line, it might help to remove it
for this, but make sure that you don't use so much water pressure that
you blow parts of the line apart.)

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 28-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Fleemo

Yes Tsu, I can replace them by cutting out the section of hose and
replacing it with a new section, but that's kinda how I got into
trouble in the first place.

Warren, they are indeed a different color. Most of the line has green
plastic in the emitters, while the new, unsatisfactory ones have
yellow plastic. I didn't think to check the box for the drip rate,
assuming a hose is a hose. :/

Guess I'll have to try and find some green emittered hoses and do a
lot of replacement work.

-Fleemo

Yes. The package should show a GPH (gallons per hour) or LPH (liters per
hour) rating. If you bought them in bulk, the box on the shelf would
tell you. The brands I've seen use colors so one can visually tell the
difference.

Or some of them could just be clogged. Whenever you open up the hose,
such as when you're replacing or adding an emitter, you run the danger
of a little dirt getting into the line. Try removing the end cap at the
far end, and then turn on the water to flush any dirt out the far end.
(If you use a pressure regulator on the line, it might help to remove it
for this, but make sure that you don't use so much water pressure that
you blow parts of the line apart.)

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.

[IMG] code is On

Do soaker hoses stop soaking after a while? Don Wiss Gardening 1 20-04-2010 04:40 PM
soaker hoses v/s drip irrigation, [email protected] Texas 7 16-02-2009 11:16 AM
soaker hoses and other irrigation methods Stan The Man United Kingdom 11 23-07-2005 11:39 PM
soaker hoses tonyg Bamboo 2 22-07-2004 07:20 PM
Soaker Hoses Charles Gardening 8 31-07-2003 06:02 AM