Old 28-03-2003, 06:08 PM
zxcvbob

Default Re2: pvc irrigation ?

Hi Bob,
I wasn't talking about that soaker hose stuff. I bought maybe a 1500
foot roll of commercial irrigation tape, and a box of fittings for it.
It was not very expensive, and the stuff works a lot better than soaker
hoses. If I recall correctly, (it was a long time ago) my garden has
about eight or ten 150 foot rows, and I ran the whole thing at once from
one garden hose.

Best regards,
Bob

bob carwell wrote:

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and for your
helpful
suggestions. I was not using "soaker hose" because of the expense (I
think I was referring to it as drip irrigation hose, but I know what
you're talking about- its the black stuff that looks like garden hose
that sweats). It's the stuff that was running about $25 a roll and to
cover my whole garden would be $150 or
so which is why I was wondering about cheap PVC in the first place.
It sounds like some combination of conduit and spaced soaker pieces
might be the ticket.
Thanks again and happy gardening !

Bob

The irrigation tape was thin black plastic tubing about 5/8" diameter
with drip emmiters drilled in it every 18 inches. It came in big rolls,
and was cheap enough to throw it away after a few seasons. I don't
remember where I bought it -- some irrigation supply place out in West
Texas, I think. That was a long time ago, and before the Internet. It
should be easy to find now.

Maybe this will give you some ideas.

Best regards,
Bob

bob carwell wrote:

What can you use with a pvc pipe layout as the nozzles for a vegetable
garden ?
I have tried various sprinklers and last year even tried the smaller
diameter black plastic hose drip irrigation system with the little
plastic flow regulating drippers spaced along the hose.
The hose kinks, the drippers clog and fall out, etc. Also the
regular drip irrigation hoses are cost prohibitive since a 50 ft. hose
is $25 or so whereas an equivalent length of pvc pipe is $10. And I
have about 300 linear feet of garden and don't want to spend $150 for
drip irrigation hoses or the drip irrigation systems with the
regulators (that are also about $1 a piece).
Is there some clever thing to do to pvc every 4 feet or so to
simulate these drip irrigation systems with the drippers, like simply
drilling a 1/32 hole periodically and loosely taping over it to avoid
the erosion effect and running the system shorter periods of time.
Or is there some regulating dripper made for pvc layouts instead of
those little ones for the black plastic hose system ?
Or maybe drilling the periodic holes in the pvc and putting a
pressure reducer at the faucet ?
Bottom line is pvc is so inexpensive and has so many inexpensive
T's and valves to make it very easy and cheap to build a pvc layout
for my garden. The only problem is how to deliver the water to each
plant.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob