Old 28-03-2003, 07:44 PM
spampot

Default Question about sun for lilies of the valley

I have lots of LotV which I intend to consolidate and let spread. I
also have a rectangle about 3 feet wide and ten feet long between my
boxwood and a stone sidewalk, facing the morning sun (straight east, in
fact). I know LotV likes some shade; is this rectangle a bad place to
put them? There are tall evergreens across the street from it, about 80
feet away, but between, say, 9 a.m. & noon, the rectangle gets full sun.
Advice? If not my LotV, what then? I'd like something that'll look
nice all year, so will go w/a ground cover and spring bulbs if that's
the right answer.

Also, has anyone tried planta genesta in zone 6b? I'm in Maryland,
between Baltimore & Washington.

Old 28-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Phisherman

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:29:44 -0500, spampot wrote:

I have lots of LotV which I intend to consolidate and let spread. I
also have a rectangle about 3 feet wide and ten feet long between my
boxwood and a stone sidewalk, facing the morning sun (straight east, in
fact). I know LotV likes some shade; is this rectangle a bad place to
put them? There are tall evergreens across the street from it, about 80
feet away, but between, say, 9 a.m. & noon, the rectangle gets full sun.
Advice? If not my LotV, what then? I'd like something that'll look
nice all year, so will go w/a ground cover and spring bulbs if that's
the right answer.

Also, has anyone tried planta genesta in zone 6b? I'm in Maryland,
between Baltimore & Washington.

They should grow well. Morning sun is good. Our LOV have been
spreading like crazy, mostly in full to part-shade. They are emerging
this week in zone 7. The smell is wonderful when they bloom, but in
late summer they look like crap.
Old 28-03-2003, 09:08 PM
spampot

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much for the quick response. Do you mean they go brown in
late summer, or just get ragged-looking? My idea is to have a solid
mass of some kind of green, and ragged is OK up to a point.

Old 28-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Phisherman

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:53:45 -0500, spampot wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Mine looked a bit ragged. But that's to be expected after the bloom.
The area goes completely bare in the winter. I keep the LOV bed
mulched with compost. It seems to grow well with very little
maintenance. My mother had them growing as a ground cover under a
stand of birch trees. Do pick some flowers for the dinner table.
Old 28-03-2003, 11:20 PM
spampot

Phisherman wrote:

[...]

Ah, more excellent advice! Thank you. I've become a rabid composter
after success the past two years. My ready-to-use pile was just used
completely up by our "lawn boy," who moved a rhododendron for us and
praised its quality (the compost, not the rhodo). But I have plenty in
progress.

And I'll certainly pick bouquets; LotV is my birth-month flower.

[IMG] code is On

Lilies - Lilies-Red_5688.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 29-06-2009 11:34 AM
Lilies - Lilies-Red_5684.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 29-06-2009 11:33 AM
Lilies: - Lilies-Stargazer-CU.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 2 26-12-2008 10:44 PM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
PEACE LILIES WITH NO LILIES MARTY United Kingdom 1 08-12-2005 03:09 PM