Old 03-02-2006, 06:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Erik

Default Sun without Sun.

I'm a bit of a newbie, but I do have two orchids blooming!

Question: my orchids don't seem to like the Florida sunshine. They
start to turn yellowish, but when they don't get sun, they don't bloom.

Is there a screen that I can buy or something to create a more defuse
light?

Erik
Old 03-02-2006, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

We call it shade cloth in these parts. Here is a link to one possible
solution to your problem.
http://www.usnetting.com/HTML/shade-cloth.html

The type of cloth you need or it's density of weave depends on the type of
orchids you want to grow.

I might also suggest you find a local orchid society and start showing up at
their meetings. This will not provide shade for your orchids but it will
advance your skills needed to grow and bloom them very quickly

Your email address makes me wary

.. .

Old 03-02-2006, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Erik

Al wrote:
We call it shade cloth in these parts. Here is a link to one possible
solution to your problem.
http://www.usnetting.com/HTML/shade-cloth.html

The type of cloth you need or it's density of weave depends on the type of
orchids you want to grow.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

I might also suggest you find a local orchid society and start showing up at
their meetings. This will not provide shade for your orchids but it will
advance your skills needed to grow and bloom them very quickly

Hm, I'll check. I doubt their is one, but you never know.

Your email address makes me wary

It's just a made up address to avoid getting spam myself.

Thnx for the reply.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

I recall you said you were in Florida. It is rumored there is a local
orchid society on every street corner in Florida. But it is a big state.
There are several people on this newsgroup who are writing from various
parts of Florida. They may even have a local source for shade cloth.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Not quite every corner, but there are LOTS. Some are more active than
others. What part of Florida?

I don't have a good source for small quantities of shadecloth. Some of the
big boxes like Home Depot carry it, but only in 6' widths and I am less than
confident that the rolls are accurately labelled as to % of shade.

Another idea is to contact growers near you. If they are changing things
around, or making hurricane repairs, you may be able to salvage some used
shadecloth.

The budget says my current shadecloth has to stay on till it falls apart,
but if I ever do replace it, I think I will go with the Aluminet. You
should be able to find that via Google, but I don't know about minimum
quantities.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 03-02-2006, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Hi, Reka: Yes, a good friend of mine had it on his pre-hurricane
shadehouses and absolutely swore by it. I didn't get to see it myself, but
several who did (besides the owner) remarked on the temp difference. Kenni
"Reka" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
~The budget says my current shadecloth has to stay on till it falls apart,
~but if I ever do replace it, I think I will go with the Aluminet. You
~should be able to find that via Google, but I don't know about minimum
~quantities.
~
Kenni, do you know if Aluminet really keeps the greenhouse cooler? Know
anyone who is using it down there?

:-) I am planning in advance for my greenhouse. :-)

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Old 03-02-2006, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Where in FL are you, Erik? And, do you have a screened in porch? What kind
of orchids are you growing?

Diana

Old 03-02-2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

There is a noticeable difference between alumnet and black plastic shade
cloth with regard to cooling in the summer as you might expect.

I have used it and I do believe it does do what they say it does, warmer in
the winter and cooler in the summer and better light diffusion. It is kind
of netted together so it doesn't run. I had some 10 or 20% that wore out
after about 5 years. It just started to sprinkle apart and little bits of
silver started raining down on everything and eventually it started to tear
in long straight lines. The heavier percentage fabric seems to last a bit
longer.

I am using white plastic shade cloth at the moment and I have not seen as
noticeable a difference between it and the alumnet as I did when I had black
plastic. It is my opinion that plastic will outlast alumnet because I have
not yet reached the age limit of any of my plastic pieces.

When you store shade cloth mice like to live in it and can chew some very
create patchwork holes. Also mouse urine never stops smelling once it has
been absorbed into pltic cloth or almnet.

Buy knitted cloth avoid woven cloth. If knitted tears it will not run or
fray.

"Reka" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,