Old 29-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Tom C

Default Tomatoes

I am always looking for a good meaty tomato. Does anyone know a Varity they would recommend that would do well in central Oklahoma. Sandy loin soil is what I have Thanks Tom C .

Old 29-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Charlie

Please turn off your HTML!

Thanks

Charlie.

"Tom C" wrote in message
I am always looking for a good meaty tomato. Does anyone know a Varity they
would recommend that would do well in central Oklahoma. Sandy loin soil is
what I have Thanks Tom C .

---

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Tom & Debbie

Big Beef is a good one but I have always been partial to the Cherokee Purple. VERY GOOD FLAVOR and you can save the seeds! I live in Central OK with sandy soil and they both do well.
debbie
Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
B & J

I really like Big Beef because it produces great tasting, crack resistant tomatoes on a disease free plant, but I don't really think of it as a meaty tomato. Cherokee Purple is a nice tomato, but the dark color may be a turn off to some people. Pineapple is good producer of huge, very meaty fruit, but it a yellow fruited variety. (My wife wrinkles her nose when she looks at the color of the two!) A nice, meaty, early determinate tomato is a variety called Daybreak. Another meaty variety that I really like is Caspian Pink, which has pink colored skin. It produces an ugly looking tomato, but it tastes great and is a better producer than Brandywine.

Check out this site online: www.totallytomato.com

There are good descriptions of many varieties that may help you make up your mind.

John

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
jammer

Just reading that first line, I thought, what the heck? They make
drugs out of tomatoes now? Then i thought, naw, this is spam but i'll
read it anyway. LOL

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:13:01 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

I really like Big Beef because it produces great tasting, crack =
resistant tomatoes on a disease free plant, but I don't really think of =
it as a meaty tomato. Cherokee Purple is a nice tomato, but the dark =

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
John S. DeBoo

Tom C wrote:

Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
Encoding: quoted-printable

I grow Roma's in Albuquerque and they do very well here. Our soil
is probably about the same as yours. They are small & teardrop
shaped, very meaty and make an excellent base for spaghetti sauce,
or just for munching. Before I retired I used to take my extras to
work. They would last less than 5 minutes. Just planted some today
as a matter of fact.
Probably the best thing to do is snag a few from the grocery store
and try them out. If ya like em, plant some.

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 30-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Tom C

Wow thank you for so many responses . I will take your answers into
consideration you all were so kind to answer.Charlie sorry about the HTML
format I design and send stationery to a group and it cant be read without
HTML I will try to remember that when posting here thank you Tom C.

"Charlie" wrote in message
Please turn off your HTML!

Thanks

Charlie.