Old 30-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Valkyrie

Default stumped

I have been sitting in my apartment dining room, garden books spread all
over, tablet, pen and pencil, the sun is on my back and feels wonderful and
I am trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do with my flowers this
year. I was out this glorious Puget Sound ( zone 8, I think) morning fussing
around all my pots and plants and cleaning bird feeders and building a
little rock platform in the birdbath so the water trickles nicely from the
pump and the birds can wade and splash more easily when I realized that I'M
NOT GOING TO HAVE SUN! I have a wonderful apartment that faces the backyards
of homes that have kept their gardens pretty wild (lots of tall firs and
Madonna) and thick shrubbery along the back fence line. I'm sure for their
privacy since this is a 200 unit complex but it also makes it wonderful for
me, I can't see their houses and it looks as if I am in my own little
private world. I'm on the end of a building and I can't see my neighbors on
either side of me and have no road noise at all. The thing is, three very
large flowering trees have reached a height and size that this year all my
afternoon sun will be blocked and I only get sun in the afternoon. My
balcony has solid side walls and a roof so I don't get any light there
either. At the peak of summer I will be getting sun from about 2pm on and it
will now be as is so poetically described as 'dappled shade' to full shade.

I have a very nice lacey leafed maple in a big container as well as a witch
hazel, two peony trees, all in their own large pot, not sure how they will
do this year, they've always bloomed beautifully. There's an akebia vine on
a free standing trellis also but I don't think it will do very well since it
's going to be pretty shaded. The south wall has a winter jasmine and some
sort of purple clematis (one of those unmarked "dead" things rescued from a
pile at Home Depot) that is growing up and across the front of the ceiling,
it blooms like crazy. The north wall has sweet autumn clematis that is
covering a trellis on the wall (it gets the most sun) and grows also out and
across the top of the ceiling. I don't know how better to describe this
except that the two clematis form a picture frame type effect and I am
facing towards the west. I have three large long window boxes hung on
brackets on the outside of the railing, two have flowers to attract humming
birds and one is my herb garden. I like my large pots to be really full and
lush with color but what I had last year requires more sun than what I will
get to do well. I'll probably get about an hour or two of bright sun just
before it sets later in the summer.

I have some hostas and small astillbe and two dwarf iris already, I've also
got a few begonias tubers started that I've had for years but I'm just not
sure what else to plant that will do well that has FLOWERS and hopefully
SCENT. It also needs to have a long blooming season since I really don't
have the space for layered planting as I did in my large home garden to keep
color all season. I'm just sort of stumped here. I'll tuck some impatients
in because I've always liked them, I've never personally cared for coleus so
that is out. So are hanging baskets, I have a huge apple tree branch mounted
on the ceiling with little fairy lights and the sweet autumn clematis has
begun to claim that as another feature on which to climb and twine. The
birds also like to gather there during storms. I can't have anything too
tall and some that sort of drape over the sides would be lovely. My balcony
isn't really all that large, 10ft by 4 ½ ft and any area for hanging has
been taken for my bird feeders, I have a narrow a path (trail?) from one end
to the other to tend things, a BBQ party is not high on my priority list.
This balcony is off my living room and has a sliding door which I like to
leave always open and so I'd really like to have the scent of flowers if
possible. No, let me rephrase that, I WANT lots of flowers that smell really
good! With the sound of the water and my birds it would be quite pleasant.
I like solid, lush plantings, more is better and a whole lot more of MORE is
the best. I just water and feed like crazy and so far that system has worked
well. If anyone can give me any suggestions to fill the bill with dense
waves of color and scent and grows in the shade I would really appreciate
it.

Val

My son gave me a digital camera so I guess I also need to make a garden web
page. I don't have a clue as to how to do this though. I took some really
good pictures with it and I think sort of a seasonal progression would be
nice. You really can have lots of garden stuff in a very small space. I see
all these condos and apartments that look so bare and think, "You really
ought to plant something!" Maybe it would inspire them.

Old 30-03-2003, 03:56 AM
zhanataya

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:36:20 -0800, "Valkyrie"

Val, it sounds wonderful. Why don't you just cut down the neighbors
trees? VBG
Old 30-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Valkyrie

wrote:

Val, it sounds wonderful. Why don't you just cut down the neighbors
trees? VBG

Don't think I haven't thought about that. However, the roar of a chainsaw at
3am could cause some problems and making a quick get away is difficult in a
wheelchair, especially UP hill. I was thinking maybe a camo netting cover
and just sitting very quietly until the commotion dies down ;-)

Val

Old 30-03-2003, 04:56 AM
jammer

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:20:45 -0800, "Valkyrie"
wrote:

Don't think I haven't thought about that. However, the roar of a chainsaw at
3am could cause some problems and making a quick get away is difficult in a
wheelchair, especially UP hill. I was thinking maybe a camo netting cover
and just sitting very quietly until the commotion dies down ;-)

Val

I hear crack heads work cheap.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 30-03-2003, 05:44 AM
zhanataya

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:20:45 -0800, "Valkyrie"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Val, it sounds wonderful. Why don't you just cut down the neighbors
trees? VBG

Don't think I haven't thought about that. However, the roar of a chainsaw at
3am could cause some problems and making a quick get away is difficult in a
wheelchair, especially UP hill. I was thinking maybe a camo netting cover
and just sitting very quietly until the commotion dies down ;-)

Val

Pump up the air in your tires. I'll push.

Old 30-03-2003, 05:44 AM
Valkyrie

"zhanataya" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:20:45 -0800, "Valkyrie"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Pump up the air in your tires. I'll push.

My prayers are answered, a Partner in Crime!!

Old 01-04-2003, 11:56 PM
zhanataya

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 20:38:49 -0800, "Valkyrie"
wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:20:45 -0800, "Valkyrie"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Pump up the air in your tires. I'll push.

My prayers are answered, a Partner in Crime!!

Just in case we don't get away with it or chicken out have you given
any thought to installing grow lights? Or is too much on the
outside of the balcony where the lights wouldn't reach?
Old 02-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Valkyrie

"zhanataya" wrote in message
news
Just in case we don't get away with it or chicken out have you given
any thought to installing grow lights? Or is too much on the
outside of the balcony where the lights wouldn't reach?

About the last thing I'd do is put up grow lights, I can't think of much of
anything uglier and probably pretty darned expensive. I'm not sure what
kind you'd need to get enough light at plants 5 to 7 feet below without
going into some sort of very expensive commercial type installation. Thanks
for the suggestion all the same though.

I honestly thought that with the amount of cumulative knowledge in this
group I'd get some suggestions on what I could possibly plant, in what has
now become a shaded area, that has flowers AND scent to make my little
balcony that much nicer.

ohhhhhhhh well :-(

Val

Old 02-04-2003, 04:08 AM
zhanataya

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 18:28:26 -0800, "Valkyrie"
wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
news
Just in case we don't get away with it or chicken out have you given
any thought to installing grow lights? Or is too much on the
outside of the balcony where the lights wouldn't reach?

About the last thing I'd do is put up grow lights, I can't think of much of
anything uglier and probably pretty darned expensive. I'm not sure what
kind you'd need to get enough light at plants 5 to 7 feet below without
going into some sort of very expensive commercial type installation. Thanks
for the suggestion all the same though.

I honestly thought that with the amount of cumulative knowledge in this
group I'd get some suggestions on what I could possibly plant, in what has
now become a shaded area, that has flowers AND scent to make my little
balcony that much nicer.

ohhhhhhhh well :-(

Val

You will. And I'm sure lots of suggestions. I'm afraid I drug your
thread off center by suggesting crime. Of course it is an option we
can fall back on.

zhan
Old 02-04-2003, 07:56 AM
gregpresley

Sorry, Valkyrie, you're right, we got sidetracked. I would suggest nicotiana
for scent, or you could grow heliotrope. Both should tolerate shade just
fine, although they like some heat, which Seattle summers don't always
provide. You could also grow four o-clocks, although they will only bloom in
the late afternoon through the night - very wonderful scent. Some petunias
are somewhat shade-toleraant, and the deep purple varieties in particular
have a strong clove scent. Some varieties of lilies will tolerate dappled
shade. For brighter colors, you could plant a lot of impatiens, and just mix
a few of these more scented plants among them. Hope this helps. If you want
a nice evergreen, tea olive (osmanthus) is shade tolerant. It has tiny
flowers, but the scent will fill your whole block. Certainly camellias,
rhododendrons, and azaleas will bloom in dappled shade conditions, if you
like them.
"Valkyrie" wrote in message

news