Old 30-03-2003, 05:44 PM
k2

Default Arum Italicum

Anyone have any advise on how to eradicate this plant? Apparently previous
owners thought it be a great ground cover which doesn't fit my plans. Now
that I've relandscapped my backyard I've accidentally spread this weed
everywhere. Seems to grow faster then I can dig it up and is becoming more
problematic since it is now coming up amoungst new plantings which I stand
the chance of damaging while digging at this pesky plant.

thanks in advance for any help,
Karl

--
If replying directly, please remove
the 'killspam' portion of my return

Old 30-03-2003, 05:56 PM
paghat

In article mUEha.264229$F1.47416@sccrnsc04, "k2"
wrote:

Anyone have any advise on how to eradicate this plant? Apparently previous
owners thought it be a great ground cover which doesn't fit my plans. Now
that I've relandscapped my backyard I've accidentally spread this weed
everywhere. Seems to grow faster then I can dig it up and is becoming more
problematic since it is now coming up amoungst new plantings which I stand
the chance of damaging while digging at this pesky plant.

thanks in advance for any help,
Karl

I have a large collection of aroids of all sorts & love Arum italicum, but
I keep an eye on it, & as with my beloved grape hyacinths, if I ever do
have to dig soil around where they're growing, that soil goes out on the
street margin & I'm careful not to spread them where not wanted. Now that
you've dispersed it everywhere I think the chances of getting rid of it
are quite slim. I'm reposting a commentary by Woad of the Willamette which
should get you depressed:

-------begin quote:
This hideous plant is impossible to get rid of. I have tried pulling it
up, which causes it to spread. I have not allowed it to go to seed for
about 6 years, but it comes up in entirely new places on our 1 acre
property every year. I have tried spraying it with several different
things, even though I am as much as possible an organic gardener. Last
summer, I decided that the only way I would be able to get rid of it was
to completely dig out the bed where it originally started and cover it
over with cement as an extension of my front patio. So I moved the things
out of that bed that I really wanted to keep, and I didn't water AT ALL
during the very dry summer we had here in the Willamette Valley, and I
sprayed it thoroughly, and last fall and continuing to this day it has
come back more than ever. I haven't had a chance to dig the bed out yet
but plan to VERY soon. But I have big healthy plants in other places too.
I HATE this plant. It is considered a noxious weed in Australia and New
Zealand. I read on the internet about people who love this plant and I
just can't believe it. Some places say it loves good soil and must be kept
moist. HA! Absolutely nothing can kill this plant. If anyone has any ideas
of how to get rid of it, please let me know! I have lately been digging
all around it as deep as I can and throwing all the soil in the garbage,
the day before the garbage man comes so it doesn't have time to creep back
out and plant itself!
-----end quote.

On the plus side, it's not harder to get rid of than horsetail or
dandelion, & it is very pretty with wonderful spathes.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 30-03-2003, 08:08 PM
k2

"paghat" wrote in message
news
I'm reposting a commentary by Woad of the Willamette which
should get you depressed:

gosh, thanks!

[IMG] code is On

italian arum [email protected] Gardening 1 03-08-2004 03:20 PM
Titan Arum (Amorphophallus titanum) David Hill United Kingdom 1 05-07-2004 08:03 PM
Arum Lily (Black pearl) Avril United Kingdom 7 21-07-2003 04:42 AM
Arum lily Bel Ponds 2 26-04-2003 03:56 PM
Frost on Arum Lily David United Kingdom 1 09-04-2003 05:44 PM