Old 31-03-2003, 10:20 PM
1 52

Default Deer fence

I use an electric fence also but it has been off all winter and the deer
are use to jumping over it. So I left the outer fence off and ran fence
like a web in the garden. (I have not planted yet.) So the deer will
learn not to want inside the fence this year. Got to save the
strawberries.
Zeb

Old 31-03-2003, 10:32 PM
burl

There were two recommendations that I didn't think really applied. One was
hunting or eradicating the deer and I figured if someone was a hunter they
would have thought of that already. The other one made me chuckle - dart
them with contraceptives. Seems a little beyond the range of the average
homeowner. The number of deer in the US is amazing though:

"The deer population in North America is now 28 million-it was 500,000 at
the turn of the century. The annual dollar loss to the farming industry and
homeowners from deer damage is estimated to be in excess of one billion
dollars."

"mrbill" wrote in message
In South AL, we give them lead poisoning..........the state allows us to
shoot those that are destroying our crops............

"burl" wrote in message
.net...
I have read that Blood Meal deters deer but I haven't read any studies

or
seen any of the actual report that the claim is based on. Intuitively it
kind of makes sense to me but I would love to hear from anyone that's
actually tried it.

Thanks,
Burl

Safe and Natural Gardening
http://www.emerysgardenstore.com

"kayk" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how to keep the deer out of my garden? I live in a

rural
area. The field behind my property used to be planted with oats, which

kept
them busy, but now it lies idle, and my garden seems to be in the

middle
of
a deer run. I have put up the deer fence netting material, which

worked
fairly well in the beginning of the season, but which they plowed

right
through by the end of the season.I'm losing my love for "Bambi". Help!

Kay

Old 31-03-2003, 11:08 PM
paghat

In article xp2ia.24641$OV.119707@rwcrnsc54, "burl" burlev.hotmail@com wrote:

There were two recommendations that I didn't think really applied. One was
hunting or eradicating the deer and I figured if someone was a hunter they
would have thought of that already. The other one made me chuckle - dart
them with contraceptives. Seems a little beyond the range of the average
homeowner. The number of deer in the US is amazing though:

"The deer population in North America is now 28 million-it was 500,000 at
the turn of the century. The annual dollar loss to the farming industry and
homeowners from deer damage is estimated to be in excess of one billion
dollars."

I'm vegetarian myself, but for people who are not, I think it SHOULD be an
option to kill garden-marauders if the purpose is to eat them. Also, to
keep all things fair & to convey a sense of equality among animals, this
should apply to human marauders too.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

[IMG] code is On

Liquid Fence Deer Repellent Stinks trax Gardening 1 04-08-2009 11:51 PM
OT - Spring also means putting up a deer fence! Phyllis and Jim Ponds (moderated) 6 20-03-2008 01:51 AM
Deer fence? [email protected] Gardening 20 14-08-2007 01:00 AM
Deer fence Dave Edible Gardening 28 06-08-2006 01:46 AM
Deer fence height jerry Gardening 12 05-06-2005 03:41 AM