Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Deer fence?

Ok, I gave up on tomatoes this year because the deer ate them, but now
they are eating my squash plants. In the Winter they eat my pine trees.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

What kind of deer? The white tailed here in SE Pennsylvania are not
bothering with the tomatoes. They do enjoy the apples and peaches that drop
to the ground when I thin out the fruit on the fruit trees.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

ps.com...

Old 11-08-2007, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"William Wagner"
wrote in message

In article

om,
wrote:

Ok, I gave up on tomatoes this year because
the deer ate them, but now they are eating my
squash plants. In the Winter they eat my pine
trees.

We have tomatoes that look like small pine
trees. Deer coupled with ground hogs and we
have the worse garden results in over 40 years.

My brother has been trapping the ground hogs
which moved into our area
last year. A new neighbor says his dad is
good with a crossbow. This guy has moose and
deer heads up on the wall.

The deer eat our phlox which I can live with
but they are also grazing
our Japanese maples we been propagating for
over 30 years

Bill

They got my "Hyperion" daylillies, trampled some
gorgeous glads, impatiens and browallia, nibbled
the green beans (through the ****ing cage!),
green pepper leaves, tomato leaves, swiss chard
etc etc. I'm putting up an 8 foot mesh fence
this weekend. I don't care how ugly it is. This
is war.

You might consider an electric wire(s). Some of
the vineyards around here use this approach; One
strand about 3 feet above ground level and one
strand about a foot above ground level. The high
one will get the deer and the low one will get
the ground hogs and racoons. Smear both strands
with peanut butter. The deer love peanut butter
and a lick or two and they won't be back.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

symplastless wrote:
What kind of deer? The white tailed here in SE Pennsylvania are not
bothering with the tomatoes. They do enjoy the apples and peaches that drop
to the ground when I thin out the fruit on the fruit trees.

BS. Same whitetail here eat practically everything. Simple matter of
deer density. In dead of winter they will eat evergreens and starve to
death for lack of nutrition. Fences/electic fences are only real solution.
Frank
Old 11-08-2007, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
. ..
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"William Wagner"
wrote in message

In article

om,
wrote:

[...]

I don't want to run AC to the garden, and I've heard mixed reviews about
solar. The fence is what's going to happen, and that's that.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

http://www.deerfortress.com/

We've had very good results with the above. It's a bit on the expensive
side, but it's cheaper than a fence. Just a thought.
Eggs

"approved for use right up to harvest"?

I wonder who "approved" it.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote
in message

. ..
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"William Wagner"
wrote in message

In article

om,
wrote:

[...]

Fine by me, just trying to help. Hopefully the
suggestion might be considered helpful to others
reading the posts.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom said:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
. ..
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"William Wagner"
wrote in message

In article

om,
wrote:

[...]

-If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Ok, I gave up on tomatoes this year because the deer ate
them, but now
they are eating my squash plants. In the Winter they eat
my pine trees.

We're going with Liquid Fence. My buddy bought a gallon of
concentrate and a giant sprayer. The whole yard smells like
limburger cheese when the wind shifts. Good thing we like
stinky cheese

Seahag

Old 11-08-2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

http://www.deerfortress.com/

We've had very good results with the above. It's a bit on the expensive
side, but it's cheaper than a fence. Just a thought.
Eggs

"approved for use right up to harvest"?

I wonder who "approved" it.

It never comes in contact with the plants. It's a small, plastic "canister"
that sits on a heavy wire stake.

--

Eggs

Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Seahag wrote:

wrote:
Ok, I gave up on tomatoes this year because the
deer ate them, but now
they are eating my squash plants. In the Winter
they eat my pine trees.

We're going with Liquid Fence. My buddy bought
a gallon of
concentrate and a giant sprayer. The whole yard
smells like
limburger cheese when the wind shifts. Good
thing we like stinky cheese

Seahag

Check to see if safe for food plants. Some of the
deer repellents are to be used only on non
edibles. I don't know which category liquid
fence fits in.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Paul E. Lehmann said:

Seahag wrote:

wrote:
Ok, I gave up on tomatoes this year because the
deer ate them, but now
they are eating my squash plants. In the Winter
they eat my pine trees.

We're going with Liquid Fence. My buddy bought
a gallon of
concentrate and a giant sprayer. The whole yard
smells like
limburger cheese when the wind shifts. Good
thing we like stinky cheese

Seahag

Check to see if safe for food plants. Some of the
deer repellents are to be used only on non
edibles. I don't know which category liquid
fence fits in.

Doesn't matter. You can put it down as a border, around the bed.

--

Eggs

-A hair in the head is worth two in the brush.

[IMG] code is On

Liquid Fence Deer Repellent Stinks trax Gardening 1 04-08-2009 11:51 PM
OT - Spring also means putting up a deer fence! Phyllis and Jim Ponds (moderated) 6 20-03-2008 01:51 AM
Deer fence Dave Edible Gardening 28 06-08-2006 01:46 AM
Deer fence height jerry Gardening 12 05-06-2005 03:41 AM
Deer fence kayk Gardening 17 31-03-2003 11:08 PM