Old 31-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Cereoid+10+

Default What causes "Leggy" seedlings?

You expect someone to grow seedlings directly on a windowsill?

Wouldn't it be better to grow them in soil?

Rotate your container? Kinky!

Would be best to rotate 180 degrees than to just do the Hokey Pokey!

Snooze wrote in message
ink.net...

"TakeThisOut" wrote in message
What causes "Leggy" seedlings?

I planted sunfolwer seeds in cell packs, and now they're tall with a

pair
of
leaves, some with 2 pairs, but they're staarting to fall over! Too soon

plant outdoors... should I repot them and stake them now? They're only

2-3"
tall and can't stand on their own?! Is this normal?
Thanks!

Did you plant these seedlings on a window sill? That causes leggy

seedlings,
because the plants grow only in one direction, instead of following the

sun
across the horizon. One way to reduce this, is to rotate the container

every
day.

Sameer

Old 31-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Cereoid+10+

What? You're not telling them to grow their seedlings under a "cheap" plant
lights setup?

This would be the perfect time for you to go into your song and dance
routine!

Get your act together, Dr. Feelgood.

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. wrote in message
TakeThisOut wrote:

What causes "Leggy" seedlings?

I planted sunfolwer seeds in cell packs, and now they're tall with a

pair of
leaves, some with 2 pairs, but they're staarting to fall over! Too soon

plant outdoors... should I repot them and stake them now? They're only

2-3"
tall and can't stand on their own?! Is this normal?
Thanks!

Not enough light. I'd probably toss them and start over.

Old 31-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Snooze wrote:

"Special Kitty" wrote in message
..

Go to your nearest swimming pool supply store and ask for a quart of
muriatic acid. Pour it full strength on your seedlings. It will kill
the Marphistes larvae immediately. Any leftover muriatic acid makes a
great substitute for gin or vodka in mixed drinks such as gin and tonic
(muriatic acid and tonic) or vodka martini (muriatic martini). Don't
worry, muriatic acid is completely harmless, as it is used in swimming
pools with no known problems.

Muriatic acid is more commonly known as hydrochloric acid, really strong
stuff.

Pouring it over the seedlings will result in seedlings that have been
disolved in an acid. Drinking it will probably kill the person, or atleast
destroy their mouth and throat.

Joking about this kind of stuff is dangerious and wreckless, on usenet,
where the advice might get logged and archived. Someone might actually do
this and get killed.

Assuming the fumes don't stop them, it'd probably benefit the gene pool.
Old 31-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Cereoid+10+ wrote:

What? You're not telling them to grow their seedlings under a "cheap" plant
lights setup?

Only one fixture needed. Even better.

Old 01-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Charlie wrote:

Ah, muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid? Must be an American term, I've
never heard it used here. Still, swimming pool dilutions of hydrochloric
acid would just burn the plants, it would have to be diluted. Not sure I'd
drink either, it burns if you get it on your hands.

Derived from muriate, as in muriate of potash, or KCL, potassium chloride.
Antiquated, probably French, term. Muriatic acid is impure (non-reagent,
cleaning grade) 20% hydrochloric acid.

Don't worry about anyone drinking it. The visible whitish fumes are so
pungent you can't get within three feet of an open bottle without coughing.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Alice Gamewell

Its probably lack of light. For ten dollars, I bought a small flourescent lamp
at walmart. Its done wonders in keeping my tomato seedlings small and bushy.

TakeThisOut wrote:

What causes "Leggy" seedlings?

I planted sunfolwer seeds in cell packs, and now they're tall with a pair of
leaves, some with 2 pairs, but they're staarting to fall over! Too soon to
plant outdoors... should I repot them and stake them now? They're only 2-3"
tall and can't stand on their own?! Is this normal?
Thanks!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com

Old 01-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Anna Merchant

Fluorescent lamps. Are they a different bulb to normal house lights ?

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?

Old 02-04-2003, 01:44 AM

muriatic acid is concentrated hydrochloric acid, extremely poisonous and strong acid.
I cannot believe anybody is so ignorant that they would post something like this on
the net even as a joke. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:44 AM

1. not enough light
2. if they are bent at the ground could be dampening off disease.
Ingrid

(TakeThisOut) wrote:
but they're staarting to fall over!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 10-04-2003, 11:32 AM
mickeblue

It's called "damping off", and it happens if seedlings are too wet in the
early stages of growth. you could try watering them with a solution of
Cheshunt Compound - it sometimes helps to control the problem. Don't worry
about it though, give them some support and the chances are they'll be OK.
Good luck.

---

Old 11-04-2003, 04:44 AM
vincent p. norris

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:20:27 +0100, "mickeblue"
wrote:

It's called "damping off", and it happens if seedlings are too wet in the
early stages of growth. you could try watering them with a solution of
Cheshunt Compound - it sometimes helps to control the problem. Don't worry
about it though, give them some support and the chances are they'll be OK.
Good luck.

"TakeThisOut" wrote in message
What causes "Leggy" seedlings?

I planted sunfolwer seeds in cell packs, and now they're tall with a pair

of
leaves, some with 2 pairs, but they're staarting to fall over! Too soon to
plant outdoors... should I repot them and stake them now? They're only

2-3"
tall and can't stand on their own?! Is this normal?
Thanks!

Something's screwy here. That's not the right answer to the question
asked. Leggy seedlings and damping off are not the same thing!

Leggy seedlings result from too little light. Get the seedlings into
the sunlight, or move them closer to the grow-lights, if that's what
you're using. Lower temps (60s, even 50s) also help.

You may be able to help the ones that are already leggy by planting
them deeper in a new pot. That works fine for some plants; don't know
if it will work for sunflowers.

It also helps to produce sturdy plants, I've read, if you brush your
hand back and forth over them daily, to "exercise" the stems. Or
let a small fan blow at them.

Damping off is caused by a fungal disease.

Never heard of "cheshunt compound " (does he mean chestnut?), but a
tablespoon of cinnamon powder dissolved in a quart of rubbing alcohol,
then filtered, and sprayed on the soil surface seems to help. I've
also heard that chamomile tea works.

vince norris

[IMG] code is On

Leggy tomato seedlings sjstokes United Kingdom 7 06-02-2006 11:18 PM
Flourescent lights/leggy seedlings? Mark Gardening 5 14-02-2005 10:08 PM
Flourescent lights/leggy seedlings? Cereus-validus..... Gardening 0 14-02-2005 05:50 AM
leggy seedlings Jessica Gardening 13 05-04-2003 06:56 AM
What to do with leggy seedlings JimM United Kingdom 1 11-02-2003 06:20 AM