Old 01-04-2003, 06:56 PM
LeeAnne

Default Nat'l Wildlife Federation Programs

http://www.nwf.org/backyardwildlifehabitat/

These are neat! They have these programs thru Home Depot that teach you
about backyard wildlife and how to build a habitat to suit that wildlife.

Pretty cool!
LeeAnne

--
------
If you're an insomniac, agnostic, dyslexic do you lay

Old 01-04-2003, 09:08 PM
animaux

I'm getting certified right now. Sent in the application and money and will
hear back sometime in a week or so.

Old 03-04-2003, 03:20 AM
animaux

I also invest in mutual funds which support environmental issues. I support
through donation to WWF, Greenpeace, NWR and a few locals.

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:28:56 -0500, "LeeAnne" wrote:

I had my backyard certified last year :-) Figured the $ goes to a good
place.

LeeAnne

.. .

Old 19-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Nancy

Hi LeeAnne!

Sorry to be so late with this.

I had my backyard certified last year :-) Figured the $ goes to a
good place.

Another reason is to keep the plant police off one's back. I got a
misdemeanor conviction for 'tall grass and weeds'. The next year I got
certified by NWF and the state ... no more questions, let alone building
inspector visits.

http://www.enature.com/backyardwildl...tat.asp?bwhid=
3487

Nancy
Zone 5

Old 22-04-2003, 05:08 PM
llama mama

Nancy wrote in
:

Hi LeeAnne!

Sorry to be so late with this.

I had my backyard certified last year :-) Figured the $ goes to a
good place.

Another reason is to keep the plant police off one's back. I got a
misdemeanor conviction for 'tall grass and weeds'. The next year I
got certified by NWF and the state ... no more questions, let alone
building inspector visits.

hey, would this work to get my dimwit neighbors in trouble for
repeatedly pulling out a beaver dam on my property? short version of
story is they bought swampy land from previous owner, imported fill &
built a house with a basement. previous owner kept beavers from damming
a creek that backfills the swampy area. i don't. i *want* the beavers
there. however, when the swamp fills, idiot neighbor's basement floods
(duh!). so, would wildlife habitat certification give me more legal
standing to save my swamp? lee anyone miss me?
--
The most effective kind of education is that a child should play amongst
lovely things. -Plato, philosopher (427-347 BCE)
Old 23-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Ann

llama mama expounded:

anyone miss me?

I did! How's that baby (not so baby anymore!!)

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 23-04-2003, 08:08 PM
llama mama

Ann wrote in news:5glbav4dqq1mff5tiutr7ckf9oigci8elb@
4ax.com:

llama mama expounded:

anyone miss me?

I did! How's that baby (not so baby anymore!!)

tall & thin and already gardening he has his own hoe, spade,
wheelbarrow, rake & handtools. he's very good at planting seeds in
jiffypots. hopefully he won't pick all the green tomatoes this year
though...
he's hard to keep track of outside & he climbs over the pasture gates &
up the apple tree. typical 2.5 year old. busy, busy.
we are in the process of tearing out the herb garden & rebuilding it. i
swear the former owner planted every invasive perennial known to zone 5!
any tips on easy hosta removal & division? anyone want a few ditch lilies
(common daylily: Hemerocallis fulva)? how badly will a trumpet vine
(Campsis radicans) sucker if i cut it back severely?

lee still needs to send those poppy seeds...
Old 24-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Ann

llama mama expounded:

Ann wrote in news:5glbav4dqq1mff5tiutr7ckf9oigci8elb@
4ax.com:

llama mama expounded:

anyone miss me?

I did! How's that baby (not so baby anymore!!)

tall & thin and already gardening he has his own hoe, spade,
wheelbarrow, rake & handtools. he's very good at planting seeds in
jiffypots. hopefully he won't pick all the green tomatoes this year
though...

Ah, I remember, almost 23 years ago, holding my new baby, and thinking
"Someday he's going to be big and hairy".....and guess what? He's big
and hairy! And tattoed, but that's another story. His younger
brother is taller than he is!

Every kid that comes into my hard picks my johnny jump-ups, they love
them! I try to encourage them all, kids are so cute out in the
garden.

snip

any tips on easy hosta removal & division?

Hostas are prety easy, just pry them out of the ground and divide
them, they're tough. I've left them out of the ground for several
days, planted them and had them thrive (not that I suggest that
treatment!!)

anyone want a few ditch lilies
(common daylily: Hemerocallis fulva)?

Got way too many of them already!

how badly will a trumpet vine
(Campsis radicans) sucker if i cut it back severely?

It'll sucker no matter what you do to it G

lee still needs to send those poppy seeds...

Oh, yea! Well, wait til this fall, I can scatter them then (if you
still have them)

Good to see you back!

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 27-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Nancy

Hi Lee!

hey, would this work to get my dimwit neighbors in trouble for
repeatedly pulling out a beaver dam on my property? short version of
story is they bought swampy land from previous owner, imported fill &
built a house with a basement. previous owner kept beavers from damming
a creek that backfills the swampy area. i don't. i *want* the beavers
there. however, when the swamp fills, idiot neighbor's basement floods
(duh!). so, would wildlife habitat certification give me more legal
standing to save my swamp? lee

I am not educated in the law; I suggest that you look up stuff about
'riparian rights' for your state. In Ohio we have some rules about
properly disposing of water on one's site. In either case, you would
need a qualified (not from just any lawyer) legal opinion.

Of course, you could always call the cops when they trespass. :/

Nancy
Zone 5 or 6, who knows?
On the North Coast