Old 04-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Cereoid+10+

Default Pregnant alligator plant?

That is exactly what I said.

Bryophyllums are NOT born pregnant. Vivipary is not sexual reproduction.

Ann wrote in message
"Cereoid+10+" expounded:

A better anology to the "tribbles" would be aphids because they are "born
pregnant"!!

Actually, if you knew anything about tribbles, you'd know that they
are also 'born pregnant'.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 04-04-2003, 03:56 PM
LeeAnne

lol,
I've noticed that my cat's favorite toys are the ones that are free . . .
twisty ties and those gallon-milk-plastic-things that you pull off when you
open it. My friend's cat likes it when, after you brush him, you take all
of the hair out of the brush and rub it around in your palms until it forms
a ball (think playing w/clay or playdoh) then you give it to him to play
with and he goes completely nuts over it . . . just have to keep it away
from the dog or she'll eat it -- silly pets.

LeeAnne

"Lynn A." wrote in message

LeeAnne wrote:
Not sure what kind of plant it is, but many plants are toxic to cats, so
please watch kitty carefully.

Oh yeah, I know. After I wrote that, last night I was there when
she was hanging out in that window and it seems she just bats them
around and knocks them behind the shelves.

Lynn

Old 04-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Lynn A.

That's my cat exactly...won't play with any store bought toy at all
but loves twist ties and the milk things - things you don't want laying
around for the dog to get!! She only likes cheap cat food too. Guess I
shouldn't complain...more money for plants!!

Lynn

Old 04-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Andrew Ostrander

I thought it was Kalanchoe daigremontiana. Is this one of those many cases
where there are two botanical names?

"Marley1372" wrote in message
The plant to which you are referring is called "pregnant plant" or "mother

of
thousands". The scientiffic name is Bryophyllum daigremontianum.

Toad

Old 04-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Cereoid+10+

Most modern floras compiled by botanists list Bryophyllum as a genus
separate from Kalanchoe but most of the horticultural literature has the
Bryophyllum species included in Kalanchoe. When species of Bryophyllum and
Kalanchoe (in the strict sense) are compared side by side in flower there is
little doubt that the two genera are very different from one another. Many,
but not all, of the Bryophyllum species and hybrids also produce plantlets
on the leaves or the flower stems but that in itself is not a generic
distinction. The technical differences are in the flower parts.

What are some of the other examples of plants with two names?

Old 06-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Andrew Ostrander

Here are some plants for which double botanical names are in use:

Chrysanthemums Spiders and Spoons variety
Asteraceae (syn. Compositae): Chrysanthemum carinatum, or C. indicum

Lisianthus, or Eustoma, or Prairie Gentian, or Texas Bluebell
Gentianaceae: Eustoma grandiflorum (syn. Lisianthus russellianum)

Monarda, or Bee Balm, or Oswego Tea
Lamiaceae (syn. Labiatae): Monarda didyma

Parsley
Apiaceae (syn. Umbelliferae): Petroselinum crispum

Radishes
Brassicaceae (or Cruciferae): Raphanus sativus

Rudbeckia, or Gloriosa Daisies, or Black-eyed Daisy/Susan/Susie
Asteraceae (syn Compositae): Rudbeckia hirta or R. laciniata

Shasta Daisies
Asteraceae: Chrysanthemum maximum, or Leucanthemum x superbum

Tiger Lilies
Liliaceae: Lilium tigrinum (or lancifolium)

Coleus, or Painted Nettle
Lamiaceae (syn Labiatae): Coleus blumei;
(syn. Solenostemon scutellarioides; Coleus blumei var. verschaffeltii;
Coleus hybridus; Coleus scutellarioides; Coleus verschaffeltii; Ocimum
scutellarioides; Plectranthus scutellarioides)

om...

Old 09-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Andrew Ostrander

Thank you for your reply. I've interspersed comments among your posting.

"Cereoid+10+" wrote in message
om...
Cultivar groups are not botanical taxa and they don't count.

I know they're not botanical but they may help one identify a plant more
precisely.

Common names mean nothing of value.

They help me, and maybe you, to recognize the plant faster.

Eustoma grandiflora being called Lisianthus (Lisianthus russelliana) is
because of a misidentification by the horticultural trade that

unfortunately
stuck. The flowers of Eustoma look nothing at all like those of

Lisianthus.
In the revision of the genus Lisianthus done many years ago, Eustoma
grandiflora was specifically excluded from the genus.

Too bad the horticultural trade won't change. I see though now that there
is a distinction between acceptable synonymous names and erroneous
horticultural ones.

The only valid conserved family names are those ending in -aceae. The old
Jussieu family names are no longer used except by a few old die-hards and
unenlightened horticulturists.

When I do internet searches, I find more than a few research publications
that use
the old names. For example, last week I looked for diseases of the
Asteraceae,
( my seedlings of this family all suffered from the same disease last year,)
and the only thing I could find was long, detailed, scientific, and referred
to Compositae,
not Asteraceae. As far as I can tell, botanical taxonomists don't prohibit
use of the old names or even really encourage switching.

The genus Coleus is synonymous with Plectranthus. The type species for the
genus Coleus is Plectranthus amboinicus.

?? I don't know what a type species is. Is that a species that is
representative
of the genus and by decision arbitrarily defines the genus?

The "Coleus" of the horticultural
trade is correctly named Solenostemon scutellarioides and is not at all a
member of Plectranthus section Coleus in the proper botanical sense. The
species has many synonyms.

Again, I wish the trade would switch. But why should they when the trade
names seem more enduring than the botanical ones (humour), are better
known, and are a lot easier to say!

I sympathize with your trying to keep up with the Asteraceae. The family

is
in the process of a major overhaul and many formerly large and amorphous
genera are being divided up into smaller more sharply defined genera. Many
old species names are being reduced to synonymy also.

I appreciate your reply and your taking the time to respond, and thank you
again!

Andrew

Old 09-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Cereoid+10+

Since you appear to be genuinely interested in the valid naming of plant and
the rules that determine them, I refer you to the International Code of
Botanical Nomenclature.

http://www.bgbm.org/iapt/nomenclatur....Luistitle.htm

Typification is key to understanding what a particular plant and it ranking
really is.

When the genus Coleus was named, it was based solely upon a single species
named Coleus amboinicus which automatically becomes the type species. When
that species was transferred to Plectranthus, the genus Coleus automatically
went with it. Unfortunately the plant know as "Coleus" in the horticultural
trade is neither a true Coleus nor Plectranthus.

The choice of the type species is made by the author or selected very
carefully from the original species described in the genus. There is nothing
arbitrary about it. (Of course, there have been a few exceptions when the
choice of type by latter authors have been overturned because they were not
representative of the genus as originally defined.)

The presently accepted way of denoting plants families consists of the name
of the type genus together with the -aceae ending. Thus we have Asteraceae.
The genus Aster is the type genus for the family. The old Jussieu name
Compositae does not indicate the type genus or any other genus in the
family. Unfortunately many not familiar with plant taxonomy still use the
incorrect family names.

There is no way to enforce the use of the proper names. The ICBN does not
impose monetary penalties of jail time for those who do not comply with the
code. Most of the horticulturists, plant pathologists, biochemists and
master gardeners would be serving hard time if it could be done!!! Not to
mention the fourtune collected in fines!!!

Most horticultural "experts" still don't know the difference between a
botanical variety and a cultivar.

That the US congress insists upon coining common names for endangered
species is also laughable because most of the plants were never common
enough to get anything but botanical names. We probably should be calling
congressmen and senators by "common names" instead of using their proper
names too!! Will congressman "Prissy Fusspot" please step up to the podium?
There is a appropriations bill on the floor proposed by senator "Poopy
Pants". I get a second to that motion by senator "Fart Face". I guess nobody
explained it to them.

Old 10-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 21:39:23 GMT, "Cereoid+10+"
wrote:

Will congressman "Prissy Fusspot" please step up to the podium?
There is a appropriations bill on the floor proposed by senator "Poopy
Pants". I get a second to that motion by senator "Fart Face". I guess nobody
explained it to them.

LOL, Many already have "common" names. Bush, Dick and Colon are pretty
common.....

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson