Old 05-04-2003, 10:32 AM
James

Default I hate spidermites

I discovered a bunch of "specks" which seemed to move around on the window
sills in my basement. I found out these were spidermites. I used a
multi-purpose insect killer which said it treated spidermites, and cleaned
the windows and surrounding areas very well. 3 months later I don't see any
sign of these in my window sills, but I constantly get one or two crawling
around my equipment I have set up in my basement. The thing is I don't have
any plants or anything organic whatsoever in my basement, and everything is
relatively clean. They just seem to live inside my gear and come crawling
out, I don't see what they are living off of I thought they lived off of
plantlife. I've tried spraying my gear but they still come back. It's really
frustrating I don't know what to do about it. Could it be they are still
coming in from the window sills? The thing is it's been winter I don't see
how they have continued to survive off of outdoor plantlife if thats the
case.

I've heard of treatments such as cold soap and water, but even after I clean
everything with soap and water they always come back. Are there any sort of
traps you can use to get rid of these? they seem to be attracted to heat.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:44 PM
David J. Bockman

Are you sure these are spidermites? Red spidermites are almost invisible to
the average (non-Superman) human eye.... they appear like microscopic red
dots on a white background...

.net...

Old 05-04-2003, 10:56 PM
david

If it is bright Red then it is a red mite, beneficial, red spider is more a
brick/gingery red, smaller and harder to see, if you think you have red
spider then a quick spray with a fine spray of water will show if they have
spun webs on the plants, if no webs then you are OK,
Red spider mostly found on the under side of leaves, don't move very much.
red mite found on soil, bricks etc, scurry round quite fast.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 06-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Dwayne

Set up a window fan blowing toward where you find them. Most small insects
don't want to be around a place that is breezy. Let it run for a few days,
then shut it off and see if they have left. Dwayne

Old 06-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Cereoid+10+

Calm down.

Save your anger for something more constructive.................like kicking
Iraqi butt!!!

.net...

Old 06-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Snooze

"David J. Bockman" wrote in message
Are you sure these are spidermites? Red spidermites are almost invisible

the average (non-Superman) human eye.... they appear like microscopic red
dots on a white background...

almost invisible? I always thought the tiny red spiders I occasionally see
scrambling about were spider mites. They are the size of a pinhole or less.

Sameer

Old 07-04-2003, 01:56 AM
James

I'll try that, thanks. I thought they were spidermites, they definitely are
red. Easy to spot (at least for me), seem to be about half a millimeter in
size.