Old 10-03-2006, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default Small tree recommendation

"told2b" wrote in message
ups.com...

Natty Dread wrote:
There is a space in my yard right off the patio that might be good for a
small tree, but I'm not sure what to plant there.
The area gets full sun all day and has clay soil which would be
time-consuming and expensive to improve significantly. Would any small

tree
grow in these conditions? Any ideas welcome.

Rhonda
Richmond, VA
USDA Zone 7

Paperbark Maple, Chinese Fringe tree, Serviceberry, Rose of Sharon
Inkberry, Swiss Stone Pine and (maybe the best) Princess Kay Plum.

how about a olive or fig tree? They do well in poor soil and, as best I can
tell, lots of sun light.

rob

Old 10-03-2006, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Natty Dread

There is a space in my yard right off the patio that might be good for a
small tree, but I'm not sure what to plant there. The area is about an 8' x
8' square bordered on the front side by the patio (exposed aggregate
concrete); on the back with a 6' wood privacy fence; and on side a PVC vinyl
storage shed. (There is nothing bordering the other side of the square.)
The area gets full sun all day and has clay soil which would be
time-consuming and expensive to improve significantly. Would any small tree
grow in these conditions? Any ideas welcome.

Rhonda
Richmond, VA
USDA Zone 7

************************
Basic human psychology is one of my subroutines.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Maintenance Suggestions

A pruning guide that will help you is "World Wide Pruning Guide" by Dr.
Shigo.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html

Remember we must treat the whole system. The systematic approach to the
care of trees is called Modern Arboriculture. The book Modern Arboriculture
can be found here. Again the web site is: See proper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html

See "pruning" in our Techno Tree Biology Dictionary
http://www.treedictionary.com

If you can not afford the literature then your library can get it if you
order it.
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.