Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Luca

Default Boxwood

I have recently planted 10 boxwood plants in my garden. The plants are
about 1 -1.5 ft tall.

Soon after planting them, I have realized that about half of them have
a bright yellow margin around some of the leaves (only some of the
branches are affected).

A bit of googling left me with more questions than answers. I think
that the problem may be marginal chlorosis, however there seems to be
*a lot* of possible causes for that.

Living in the Vancouver area, I think we can rule out lack of water as
one of them.

thx,
Luca (new to gardening)
zone 6b
Old 05-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Fortune Teller

Your boxwoods have the dreaded Marphistes virus. It is caused by the
Marphistes mite. The Marphistes mite mates in the summer and the female
lays her eggs in the fall in the ends of the stems of buxus, pinus,
juniperus and ilex species. The eggs hatch the following spring and the
larvae eat the new growth on the branches.

Go to yor nearest swimming pool supply store and purchase a gallon of
muriatic acid. Also get yourself a 50 foot hose and a hose end sprayer.
Fill the sprayer with the muriatic acid and spray it full strength on
you boxwoods. Be sure to soak them thouroughly. You will see results
within 24 hours, guaranteed! Any left over muriatic acid can be fed to
your dog or cat as a de-wormer. It kills hookworms, roundworms and
bookworms withing 24 hours, guaranteed!

Old 06-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Luca

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 15:15:11 -0500, Fortune Teller ""flipper\"@the
edge.water wrote:

Your boxwoods have the dreaded Marphistes virus. It is caused by the
Marphistes mite. The Marphistes mite mates in the summer and the female
[...]

Very funny... Anyone else?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:20 PM
BT

Cut off a sample branch and take it back to wherever you bought the boxwood.
They should be able to tell you what the problem is and should replace them for
free if it is a disease.

BT

Old 07-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Timothy

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 09:13:11 -0800, Luca wrote:

I have recently planted 10 boxwood plants in my garden. The plants are
about 1 -1.5 ft tall.

Soon after planting them, I have realized that about half of them have a
bright yellow margin around some of the leaves (only some of the
branches are affected).

A bit of googling left me with more questions than answers. I think
that the problem may be marginal chlorosis, however there seems to be *a
lot* of possible causes for that.

Living in the Vancouver area, I think we can rule out lack of water as
one of them.

As seeing as they are new to the location and they were just planted, I'd
suggest that you "wait and watch". They may of had some root damage during
planting or may of been begining to need some nutritional supplement from
sitting in the pot for a long time at the store. When plants are in need
of nitrogen, they steal nitrogen from the older leaves and supply it to
the newer leaves. Hence the yellowing. Marginal choloris is more related
to soil ph and potassium deficiency. To prove or disprove marginal
choloris, have the soil ph tested. In general, boxwood can handel a soil
ph of 6.0 to 7.0. If your soil is in the low 6. area, you may want to lime
the soil and fertilize you boxwoods with a high potassium content
fertilizer.
There is also the chance that it could be something else all together.
Check this page:
http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/
click ornamentals boxwood
That page may help also.
Good luck

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] spots on boxwood (was leaf borer on kingsville boxwood) Sam Williams Bonsai 0 30-04-2003 01:08 AM
[IBC] Boxwood propogation Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 27-03-2003 03:56 PM
Boxwood propogation Allen Bonsai 0 27-03-2003 01:56 PM
[IBC] Boxwood - Indoors Craig Cowing Bonsai 4 27-03-2003 08:20 AM
Boxwood - Indoors Caught-Napping Bonsai 1 26-03-2003 04:44 PM