Old 19-03-2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
spampot

Default Advice needed for garden bench around tree

I realize this might not be the most appropriate newsgroup for this
query, but hope someone here can steer me in the right direction. We
want to build a bench around a large old tree trunk (we just had the
tree cut down to about 14 feet and want to plant vines around it). I
distinctly remember, some time ago, seeing a catalogue that carried the
joint hardware for those hexagonal or octagonal benches that fit around
trees; you supply your own planking or two-by-fours -- pretty much like
the joint hardware for raised garden beds etc. I can't find it anywhere
now. I've ransacked all my catalogues and gardening magazines, to no
avail; they all either sell entire benches or kits that are fairly
expensive. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and can they point
me to a source?

TIA.
Old 20-03-2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Oren

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:51:07 -0500, spampot wrote:

I realize this might not be the most appropriate newsgroup for this
query, but hope someone here can steer me in the right direction. We
want to build a bench around a large old tree trunk (we just had the
tree cut down to about 14 feet and want to plant vines around it). I
distinctly remember, some time ago, seeing a catalogue that carried the
joint hardware for those hexagonal or octagonal benches that fit around
trees; you supply your own planking or two-by-fours -- pretty much like
the joint hardware for raised garden beds etc. I can't find it anywhere
now. I've ransacked all my catalogues and gardening magazines, to no
avail; they all either sell entire benches or kits that are fairly
expensive. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and can they point
me to a source?

TIA.

I can't answer about the hardware you need, but I looked at this link
today and did see this project.

http://www.u-bild.com/projects-outdoor/911.htm

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Old 20-03-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

you are looking for hardware for an octagon tree bench. it takes metal 45o angle
metal joints. you may be able to find these at your local hardware store.
a 4 sided object needs 90o
a 6 sided object needs 60o
an 8 sided object needs 45o
Ingrid

spampot wrote:

I realize this might not be the most appropriate newsgroup for this
query, but hope someone here can steer me in the right direction. We
want to build a bench around a large old tree trunk (we just had the
tree cut down to about 14 feet and want to plant vines around it). I
distinctly remember, some time ago, seeing a catalogue that carried the
joint hardware for those hexagonal or octagonal benches that fit around
trees; you supply your own planking or two-by-fours -- pretty much like
the joint hardware for raised garden beds etc. I can't find it anywhere
now. I've ransacked all my catalogues and gardening magazines, to no
avail; they all either sell entire benches or kits that are fairly
expensive. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and can they point
me to a source?

TIA.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Old 21-03-2006, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
spampot

Oren wrote:
[...]

Thank you, I may send for that plan.