Old 20-03-2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jack

Default 12-Volt Batteries In Garden Tractors

What type of preparation is necessary for a sealed, so-called
maintenance free 12-volt battery for garden tractors?

Seem to recall reading somewhere that it has to be charged first. Can
you give me some more details as to amount of time, etc? My charger
doesn't have the safety feature that prevents overcharging. Any other
prep necessary?

Thanks, Mary
Old 20-03-2006, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS

Andy writes;

Ok, there is a lot to learn about batteries, extending their life, and
charging... I am assuming you just want to get your lawn tractor to
work, so I will really try to simplify this.....

1)When delivered , your lawn tractor battery is probably charged.
2) When you buy a new one, your battery is probably charged...

3) This is important !! Your normal useage of your lawn tractor will
NOT keep the battery optimal. Most peope can expect to replace
their battery every two years or so. Read the manual on your
tractor...

4) If you want to make your battery last for 5 years or more, you
have
to pay attention to it. It is a lot of trouble. But this is how:

a) By a hydrometer for lead-acid batteries that measure the

specific gravity. Read the instructions and google
websites
using "lead acid specific gravity" which will give
you a lot
of hits on understanding the amount of charge in the
battery.

b) Buy a charger that will charge the battery at a ONE amp
rate and one of those 24 hour appliance timers. If you

use the timer and the charger for ONE HALF HOUR each
day,
and leave it permanently attached, you can leave it

permanently attached and your battey will stay "topped
up"
without sulfating.

c) Check your battery at least once a month, every cell.
Write
down the reading and the air temperature. If the
reading
says "fully charged at above 90% ", then you can
disconnect
the charging system in "b" for a month or so.
When the
state of charge falls below 90%, then hook it back
up...
This will change over the years.....

5) If this is more trouble than you wanted to go to, then go back
to "3" and just replace the battery every 2 years. Thats what
most people do........

Andy