Old 14-08-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Riding Lawn Mower Batteries - Question

Do Lawn Mowers have alternators that charge their batteries back up, or
do they just die out like any other battery, then you have to replace
it?

The reason I'm asking is, my battery recently died on my Murray and I
charged it up. Worked like a charm. I mowed my entire yard, then
tried to get some tall grass in the back of the yard and it killed my
mower. When I tried to restart it I had no luck. It acted like it did
the day before when the battery was dead. I haven't recharged it yet,
but I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

Any suggestions? New battery time or could it be something else.

Old 14-08-2005, 11:59 AM
D. Mo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Do Lawn Mowers have alternators that charge their batteries back up, or
do they just die out like any other battery, then you have to replace
it?

The reason I'm asking is, my battery recently died on my Murray and I
charged it up. Worked like a charm. I mowed my entire yard, then
tried to get some tall grass in the back of the yard and it killed my
mower. When I tried to restart it I had no luck. It acted like it did
the day before when the battery was dead. I haven't recharged it yet,
but I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

Any suggestions? New battery time or could it be something else.

Sounds like some sort of electrical problem. You didn't say how big a yard
you have but if it's anysize and you were able to finish mowing it I 'd
suspect a short somewhere in the wiring that dischrges the battery when the
engine is shut off. I had an older simplicity that did that. Frayed
battercable touching the frame. As long as it was running no problem but
shut it down for an hour and dead battery. Have the electrical system
cheked before just getting a new alternator for it. A new battery cable
fixed mine.

Dave M

Old 15-08-2005, 01:42 PM
VMWOOD

Could very well be just a bad battery. Try charging the battery. let
the mower set for a few days and then try to start. If battery is dead
it's a very good bet that the battery has a bad cell and needs
replaced.

Marv-Montezuma, IA
http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

Old 15-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Stephen Henning

"VMWOOD" wrote:

Could very well be just a bad battery. Try charging the battery. let
the mower set for a few days and then try to start. If battery is dead
it's a very good bet that the battery has a bad cell and needs
replaced.

For a battery as expensive as he stated, I think this is an electric
mower. So starting is not the problem. The problem is not stopping.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

Old 17-08-2005, 02:17 AM
Peter Hall

Yes, lawn tractors do have a charging systems which replenishes the battery
for what in use takes out. You should remove the battery and bring it to a
service facility which has a "load tester". That will check the actual
condition of the battery. Be sure to clean the terminals and battery cable
connectors of all corrosion.
If the battery tests out okay I have some other suggestions.
Peter Hall, Hooksett/NH
oups.com...