Old 23-03-2006, 10:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nisse

Default My bamboo is dying!

Hello,

I have three bamboo stalks. I don't know plant language at all but they
are the curly kind - the stalks are like bright green spirals. They are
about 40 cm tall. I keep them in a glass of water. For a couple of
years now, they have been perfectly happy, but suddenly one of the
bamboos is dying. About 7 cm of the top part of the spiral stalk has
turned bright yellow during the past couple of days. It could have
something to do with the fact that the building is being painted and
there are probably some fumes in the air. I don't know. It could also
have something to do with the fact that the 15 cm tall vase it stands
in is filled to the top with water, and I think I used to fill it only
half way. What am I do to? I want to save it before it dies. Someone
suggested that I cut of the dying part at the top and wax the tip.
Please could someone advise me. Thanks so much!
Nisse

Old 23-03-2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Nisse" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Are they supposed to grow in water, or be transplanted to soil?

Old 23-03-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Nisse" wrote in message
[...]

What you have is not bamboo it is a dracena.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 23-03-2006, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Charles

On 23 Mar 2006 02:59:29 -0800, "Nisse" wrote:

[...]

http://www.winnipegflowers.com/Bambo...boo%20care.htm

From your description, it's not really a bamboo, it's Dracaena
sanderiana. Anyway this site may help.
Old 24-03-2006, 06:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

They supposed to grow in water. Never in soil. I understand now from
the website that the water wasn't pure enough. So, I've taken care of
that. The question now is if I should cut off the yellow rotting part.

Nisse

Old 30-03-2006, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
RR

First of all, this is probably not a true bamboo plant. Those curly guys,
often sold as "Lucky Bamboo" are actually a type of dracena, a rather common
house plant.

As far as the top of one turning yellow, it's probably not fumes from the
painting, as I'd expect all three stalks to be affected. Before proposing
other possibilities, I'm wondering why you used to fill the vase 1/2 way and
now fill it to the top?

Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Old 30-03-2006, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Robert

I saw the thread title and immediately thought, "Aren't you lucky!" I sure
wish mine would die.

[IMG] code is On

Dying black bamboo ramyad Bamboo 4 27-04-2009 10:13 PM
Dying Lucky Bamboo Julia Royce Bamboo 4 14-04-2007 07:34 PM
Dying bamboo? Pam Moore United Kingdom 6 03-01-2007 08:21 PM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM