Old 06-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered User

Default A weeping willow type tree?

Hi,

I am looking for a tree that is weeping and needs to have golden yellow flowers.

Can anyone recommend anything that may be suitable?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2009, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:04:33 +0100, bbarnes81
wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a tree that is weeping and needs to have golden yellow
flowers.

Can anyone recommend anything that may be suitable?

Thanks

Laburnums have hanging panicles of yellow flowers, and L. alpinum
pendulum has weeping branches, although it doesn't get very large,
only about 6 ft, and all the bits are poisonous.

Genista aetnensis (Mount Etna broom) is sort of weeping, and gets to
about 25 ft. but isn't fully hardy.

Use Google Images for pictures.

Rosa banksiae can be grown with a weeping habit. (I don't know how much
work this entails.)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...27Lutea%27.jpg
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-07-2009, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-06 21:04:33 +0100, bbarnes81
said:

Hi,

I am looking for a tree that is weeping and needs to have golden yellow
flowers.

Can anyone recommend anything that may be suitable?

Thanks

Grow a Laburnum as a standard.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-07-2009, 04:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7月7日, 午前5:04, bbarnes81
wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a tree that is weeping and needs to have golden yellow
flowers.

Can anyone recommend anything that may be suitable?

Thanks

--
bbarnes81

'Kerria japonica'
http://banpaku.blog.ocn.ne.jp/.share...416108a650.jpg
http://hikoboshi.up.seesaa.net/image/yamabuki03.jpg
Old 07-07-2009, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a tree that is weeping and needs to have golden yellow
flowers.

Can anyone recommend anything that may be suitable?

Thanks

Would Koelreuteria fit the bill? I'm not sure how muchit weeps.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/446.shtml
The flowers on a willow are yellowy!

Pam in Bristol

Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a tree that is weeping and needs to have golden yellow
flowers.

Can anyone recommend anything that may be suitable?

Thanks

Would Koelreuteria fit the bill? I'm not sure how muchit weeps.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/446.shtml
The flowers on a willow are yellowy!

Pam in Bristol

Koelreuteria paniculata is called the Golden Rain Tree, but I think that
this applies to pendulous racemes, rather than to a general weeping
habit. I did look at the RHS Plantfinder, but there wasn't an obvious
(by the name) weeping cultivar listed.

Tilia 'Petiolaris' does have a weeping habit - at least in the best
trees (the form doesn't seem to be uniform) - and yellow flowers, but
it's probably the wrong sort of yellow. The same would hold for weeping
forms of Tilia cordata.

There is a weeping form ('Klein's Weeping') form of Aescula glabra, but
it's may not be available in the UK.

If yellow foliage rather than flowers is acceptable Robinia pseudoacacia
'Frisia' can have a somewhat weeping habit, and there are weeping
varieties of Gingle biloba.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-07-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-07 15:55:07 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley

wrote:

[...]

If it's to be leaves rather than flowers, I'd recommend Gleditsia
triacanthos Sunburst. It's less brittle and prone to wind damage than
the Robinia.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bbarnes81 wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a tree that is weeping and needs to have golden yellow
flowers.

Can anyone recommend anything that may be suitable?

There's a Hazel which fits your requirements, but it's not cheap, and
will take a few years to establish well - assuming your soil is suitable.

--
Rusty
Old 09-12-2009, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Rusty Hinge
writes
bbarnes81 wrote:
Hi, I am looking for a tree that is weeping and needs to have
golden yellow
flowers.
Can anyone recommend anything that may be suitable?

There's a Hazel which fits your requirements, but it's not cheap, and
will take a few years to establish well - assuming your soil is
suitable.

Or what about kolreutia? Not really weeping but small and the branches
can be drooping and the flowers are yellow.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph