Old 19-04-2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Voege

Default Best type of pots for patio?

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
Also want pots that drain, otherwise they can get full of rain water.
I use plastic with holes in bottom that sit on a pot base.

Don't forget that if you want to take these plants indoors in the fall
you'll need to provide them with saucers to catch extra water.
Aesthetically then you'll probably want to buy matching pots and saucers at
the same time even if you're not using the saucers outdoors.

Jim

Old 19-04-2006, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Voege

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know it's silly but my wife keeps buying plastic pots for outside and
they do not drain. I have to drill holes in them to keep plants from
drowning

While drainage holes are generally needed there are plants where this really
isn't a concern. For example, I have on a number of occasions inadvertently
attempted to drown impatiens in pots without drainage holes. Never
succeeded.

Jim

Old 19-04-2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Voege

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know it's silly but my wife keeps buying plastic pots for outside and
they do not drain. I have to drill holes in them to keep plants from
drowning
Frank

I know what you mean. Whoever designs those things should be severely
punished. Matter of fact, so should the knuckleheads who decide to stock
them in their stores. I can understand Home Despot being clueless, but not
real garden centers, and I see those pots there, too.

Perhaps such pots should be considered as being intended for indoor use
where the amount of water they get can be strictly controlled. It's a bit
trickier than using pots with drainage holes and saucers but it certainly
can be done.

Jim

Old 19-04-2006, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Voege

wrote in message
"lwhaley" wrote:

here is a link:
http://www.gardeners.com/Self-Wateri...ng.12773.cp d

Nice

But a bit expensive for my blood

That's not an outrageous price for a pot that size and you should believe
what they say about the benefits of a pot with a large integral water
reservoir. Life is much easier especially if you are watering with a
watering can.

Jim

Old 19-04-2006, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Jim Voege" wrote in message
.. .
"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know it's silly but my wife keeps buying plastic pots for outside and
they do not drain. I have to drill holes in them to keep plants from
drowning

While drainage holes are generally needed there are plants where this
really isn't a concern. For example, I have on a number of occasions
inadvertently attempted to drown impatiens in pots without drainage holes.
Never succeeded.

Jim

Huge pots can become interesting to move after a heavy rain if there are no
drain holes.

Old 19-04-2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

.. .

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know it's silly but my wife keeps buying plastic pots for outside and
they do not drain. I have to drill holes in them to keep plants from
drowning
Frank

I know what you mean. Whoever designs those things should be severely
punished. Matter of fact, so should the knuckleheads who decide to stock
them in their stores. I can understand Home Despot being clueless, but
not real garden centers, and I see those pots there, too.

Perhaps such pots should be considered as being intended for indoor use
where the amount of water they get can be strictly controlled. It's a bit
trickier than using pots with drainage holes and saucers but it certainly
can be done.

Jim

Even indoor plants sometimes need their soil flushed heavily to dilute
mineral buildup. That's why drainage holes are still a good idea for them.

Old 19-04-2006, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Voege

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Jim Voege" wrote in message
.. .
"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know it's silly but my wife keeps buying plastic pots for outside and
they do not drain. I have to drill holes in them to keep plants from
drowning

While drainage holes are generally needed there are plants where this
really isn't a concern. For example, I have on a number of occasions
inadvertently attempted to drown impatiens in pots without drainage
holes. Never succeeded.

Jim

Huge pots can become interesting to move after a heavy rain if there are
no drain holes.

Good word, "interesting". :-)

Jim

Old 03-05-2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hi,
I saw this website regarding self-watering planters:
http://www.globexim.net
I don't know where they sell their poducts but they look really nice!!
Just ask them.
Hope this will help you!

Linda